UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#4654  by muddytalker

I received this in my mail box today, the first in a series of newsletters regarding the 2008 Funny Car World Series proposed by series organiser Knut Soderquist to be contested at tracks in Europe and the UK.
scan0016.jpg
scan0016.jpg (209.42 KiB) Viewed 7431 times
Hi to all you Funny Car fans,

Quote by one Funny Car driver ( I tried top fuel, it did nothing for me, give me something I can drive with 6000 hp in front not an automatic Mattel Toy Dragster

Autumn, the time of the year when the forthcoming season’s drag racing plans, aims and ambitions are put in to place, this year being no exception.

Back in 1973 Funny Car racing dramatically burst on to the European scene when legendary Funny Car drivers Don Schumacher and Paula Murphy came to England. In an instance drag racing in Europe was transformed. Within two years a full eight car Funny Car field were a regular occurrence.

Fortunately a few die hard owners kept the faith with Funny Cars and now Knut Soderquist believes the time has come to bring back the Funny Cars. Over time we have all been saddened to witness a long term lack of competitors and the near demise of this great class and with the will of others intend to re-establish the nitro burning funny car to the forefront of drag racing here in Europe and with the development of our world series have a real international world competition

Which is the greatest class Top Fuel or Funny Car the debate has rage for years both classes have there unique following, Funny Car is no exception, your support is the life blood to this class.

Informal discussions have already taken place with several interested race teams who have shown a keen interest in fielding competitive nitro burning funny cars in the near future around the world. With the co-operation of participating tracks we intend to hold an International Funny Car series during 2008.

Our USA partners will play an important part in this along with our friends in the southern hemisphere - New Zealand, Australia, and the far east along with the emergence of the eastern block countries with there own drag strips. Our World Funny Car Series 2008 will be open to all nitro burning Funny Cars with a final being held at the end of the year.

It is intended to pursue the required lasting sponsorship to ensure the financial success of the series.

In the meantime we thank you for your valued interest and we will keep you posted with our progress at regular intervals

Coming soon – Funny Car Blog so you can air your views - we’ll let you know when its up and running.

Knut Soderquist
World Funny Car Series 2008

What do other forum members think about the proposed idea? I would be interested to hear your comments. A web site is pending but http://www.funnycarworldseries.com is just a holding page for registering your interest to receive regular newsletters like the above.
 #4669  by ukdrn

Personally I can't wait to see this series take place, I hope it works out well.
I love top fuel and I wouldn't want it to go but I miss proper FC racing, I'll settle for 5 or 6 cars to start with :)
I know it's a lot to ask for but an 8 car top fuel and fuel funny car field at the same meeting would be excellent, I'm not sure if this has ever happened in Europe yet but the sport is moving on so fast surely this can't be too many years away if things can be worked out, or am I just dreaming again.
spuff2.jpg
spuff2.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
 #4678  by Bob Jarrett

Russ.

I think you and I have been down this road before outside of forums. Why do you think your beloved Top Fuel cars will become diluted and no we are not racing in the USA but why should that make a difference? If you don't like Funny Cars then just close your eyes when they run.
 #4679  by DWPhil

I would really like to see this series work out in 2008 and see good fields of Funny cars alongside Top Fuel , i remember in the 70/80's when Funny cars were the stars and hopefully this proposed series can put them back where they belong although it does seem somewhat ambitous to call it a world series for its first year.

Lets not forget also that without Bob/John and the Showtime team plus Gordon and the Shockwave team and to a lesser extent Lief Helander and thier hard work and dedication to the class over the last few years there would not be a Funny Car class in Europe to turn into a series.
 #4684  by ukdrn

DWPhil wrote:
Lets not forget also that without Bob/John and the Showtime team plus Gordon and the Shockwave team and to a lesser extent Lief Helander and thier hard work and dedication to the class over the last few years there would not be a Funny Car class in Europe to turn into a series.
I agree with what your saying about these guys and I'm sure it's been said on here before.
For now all we can do is wait and see what this series turns out like but I'm looking forward to it.
FC1.jpg
FC1.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
Picture:Paul Garland
 #4686  by IanFeltell

shall we have a go at putting names to funny cars on the above pictures... :)
here mine(from right to left)
Dennis Priddle
Gene Snow
Dave Stone
Not sure??
Ron Picardo
Owen Hayward
Alan Herridge
Raymond Beadle
Well that my list,correct me if i'm wrong 8)
 #4687  by JonC

IanFeltell wrote:shall we have a go at putting names to funny cars on the above pictures... :)
Dennis Priddle
Gene Snow
Dave Stone
Not sure??
Ron Picardo
Owen Hayward
Alan Herridge
Raymond Beadle
I think that it is Pete Crane's Hustler Vega 3rd from right. Next looks like it could be Lee Anders Hasslestrom. Far left looks like it could be Harlan Thompson's Tre Kroner Arrow (Very similar to the Beadle paint though).
 #4689  by topnitro

JonC wrote:
IanFeltell wrote:shall we have a go at putting names to funny cars on the above pictures... :)
Dennis Priddle
Gene Snow
Dave Stone
Not sure??
Ron Picardo
Owen Hayward
Alan Herridge
Raymond Beadle
I think that it is Pete Crane's Hustler Vega 3rd from right. Next looks like it could be Lee Anders Hasslestrom. Far left looks like it could be Harlan Thompson's Tre Kroner Arrow (Very similar to the Beadle paint though).
My goodness me, Jon, I hope that my memory is as sharp as yours when I grow up! Well spotted all round and from a rearward view as well..... Where's my/our anorak?! Ha!