UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#8114  by muddytalker

Couple more for the album Phil. The first two, I think were taken at York Raceway and the other's are of fellow Rover V8 racer Martin Cowell's MG Midget again at York and Santa Pod.

#8142  by Flying Phil

Many Thanks Muddy!
The ones at York must have been its second outing as there are no sign writings or front number plate! It first ran at Avon Park (most unexpectedly, as it was only very nearly finished that morning in the pits!...). The first few (three) meets John Wilkin drove my "Super Sprite V8" in the Street class and I ran the "Super B" in Pro Rover. Then I drove both cars for the final couple of meets.
 #8947  by v8 jago

muddytalker wrote: Image
Thats funny as ive borrowed some dvds and your mg is on it at my local track (york) What engine were you running ?
 #8984  by Flying Phil

Hi V8 Jago
The engine in the MG BGT was a 3.5 Rover with a Crane H234 hydraulic cam and 2 x weber 34 carbs (from 3 litre Capri) on a home designed manifold + Hi Power nitrous set up. I then changed to a Holley 500 DP just before I sold the car - but still don't know where it is now - only that its on a SORN.
 #8989  by v8 jago

I wonder if its going to be one of those cars that pops it head out of no where like a lot of them are doing. I was running a 5ltr rover with gas onmy jeep, But now going for a blown sbc. Should be fun !
P.S If i hear of where your mg might be ill lert you know.
Where did you run it ?
 #9006  by Flying Phil

Hi Jago
Your 5 litre sounds fun and with a sbc should be even faster!
The BGT ran in the Street Machine, then CC, Rover championship for three years at the Pod, Long Marston (now Shakey!) and York Raceway. I built it after running with my Rover V8 "Super Sprite" ....which I still have.
 #11113  by Flying Phil

sid wrote:its still about according to the DVLA.

with 3.5 engine.

good luck with your search.

sid.
I've just rechecked the DVLA website and the SORN actually dates from when I had the car - so either its not on a SORN or has been scrapped???
I wonder when it was last seen?? I sold it 31st Aug 1993.
 #14636  by Flying Phil

Just a quick update as I had the unexpected pleasure of seeing my old Altered "Vicious Trait" at the recent "Hot Rod Drags" Unfortunately I missed seeing the present owner (Simon Day).
However back to this thread - has Anybody seen the "Super B" since 1993? I thought that it had raced in the 1994 Rover Championship?
 #31428  by Flying Phil

A bit more information came to light when I met up with Kev Jenkins at a recent Pod RWYB. He did help the Owens when they had the BGT. In fact he loaned them a good TVR engine which I believe put the B into the 11's in 1994/5? But he had lost touch with them some years ago.........So the quest continues.