UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#377  by Badger

Hi folks! This resides in my garage - the ex Hillbillies 75/76 Avenger fuel fc body. This pic was taken a little while ago, although apart from cutting the tin work out and a few other bits I've not got a lot further with it. I will take a couple of pics when I get it out of the garage next.
From what I can gather the car ran briefly around 83 as an econo funny possibly with the original chassis as 'Outlaw' by Mike Burt. Muddytalker and Time Travel - this is where your encyclopedic knowledge comes into play! From around then until two years ago I believe it was resting in a lock-up in Cheltenham. The cool thing about these seventies body's - they fit nicely in a standard garage. I had Nobby Hill's 87 Vette body in my care for a little while recently and that was 4ft longer!
The plan when I bought this was to get a nice roller together and sell it on to somebody who could put a good blown motor in and run it.
The body needs a fair amount of fixing up, there's a slight warp in the front left side from the fireball at Snetterton in 76. It may be now that once the body is repaired I use it as a plug for a fresh mould we'll see. Anyone with any info on the car between 76 and 83 I'd love to hear it!

#378  by ukdrn

Thanks for the post Badger, it's amazing to see what people have got sitting around in there garage. Here is a picture of the car on fire at Snetterton scanned from a magazine

Image:John Long

#379  by ukdrn

Another pic..
Image:Peter Wedlake

#380  by timetravel

Badger you're right it was run by Mike Burt in '83 and '84 as an econo funny car with a 383 Chrysler fitted. Here's a few shots I took at Long Marston in '83 and Blackbushe in '84. Image Image

#383  by ukdrn

Badger, I hope you don't mind but I had to pull this excellent freehand illustration you've done from your website to go with the picture of the Avenger.
Who dosen't think that some of the current crop of Nostalgic Funny Cars being built here wouldn't look good in a body like this?

Great Illustration

#384  by Badger

Thanks Nick, that first pic reminds me of one of those mental 'zingers'? weird scale models that Hot Rod featured around 71. Those headers are plain mental!!
I'm thinking the first pic from 84 with what I expect are the original 5 spokes back on the car look the biz. Do you reckon that's the original chassis?

#385  by Badger

Thanks Jon,
That's me in dreamland trying to get a bit of energy to tackle the body and visualise how I'd like it to look! Both of the fuel Avengers were West Country based so somehow 'West Country Shaker' worked for this illustration.

#395  by timetravel

I'm not sure if that's the original chassis or not. The front suspension looks different from that on ukdrncouk's pic but that may have been updated. Here's a side shot of the original chassis for comparison. It looks like the steering is on the other side as well... Image

#409  by JoeBond

No it's on the left, you can see the drop link at the end of the steering box running under the headers.. nice and chromed! :D

Same as on our altered.

On that note i love those old school M/T single plug rocker covers. Sweet!

#415  by ukdrn

Here is a better shot of the left hand side of the car
Image:Alan Mosely