UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#28506  by Restoguys

I have found that Triumph Roadster chassis were a hand welded tubular construction. I believe the car is original, just stripped and the front was cut off the chassis. Pretty sure the rear axle is Jaguar with the outboard Dunlop disc setup. Bill's daughters are really excited about this find and are looking for any info he had ie sketches, design notes, photos etc. I have a few projects of my own waiting to be done but I am going to sell some of them to help get this under way. Through this forum I have found so much out and realise what an important car this is. It will grace Santa Pod again looking as near as we can get it to how it was in 1969, any more info will help us bring it back to life. :)
 #28507  by compcoupe

Great to see an old race car being restored, any chance of getting it to Dragstalgia in July at Santa Pod in whatever condition it's in at the time?
I'm sure there at lots out there who'd love to see it.
Good luck with the project, if you need any parts machining for the restoration, I'd be glad to help out, just down the road from you in Hullbridge.

Ray
 #28508  by timetravel

I've just uploaded this...there's a short clip of Gloink going through the top end and coming down the return road :D

#28516  by shabby1

Just managed to find a Triumph Roadster chassis photo-It is round tube well thats me wrong again.
Chris.
 #28523  by McGrathgirl

Hello again, Thanks for the welcome from UKDRN. I went through a load of spider filled boxes in Dad's garage at the weekend and realise I have quite a task on my hands as Dad has hoarded quite a lot of stuff! However, I did manage to find a little bag containing 'Gloink' Invoices from 1967 which all relate to parts that he bought whilst building it. I also found a letter from Jeremy Wade who bought the Gloink from Dad in June 1986. There were some photo's, some parts and a manual that I found in the same box as the invoices that may relate to the Gloink but I need to get these checked out as they may just be random things... Please see the cartoon of Dad, an article relating to Mum and a couple more pictures of Mum in the Gloink and the racing suit. I plan to see Geoff (restoguys) who now has what's left of the Gloink this week and will update more as and when I find any info. Any other photo's or footage that you have would be great to see... Till next time. :D
Attachments
Dad in Gloink Cartoon.JPG
Dad in Gloink Cartoon.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 9859 times
 #28524  by McGrathgirl

Sorry I'm having trouble uploading the pictures. Hopefully you will get to see these of our Mum in the Gloink from 1968... D McGrath
Attachments
Mum in Gloink 1968.jpg
Mum in Gloink 1968.jpg (686.77 KiB) Viewed 9780 times
 #28525  by McGrathgirl

I see now that my photo's are too big in that they are more than 3mb but this one should come through. It's our Mum again in 1968... :D
Attachments
1968 Mum in Gloink.JPG
1968 Mum in Gloink.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 9648 times
 #28529  by ukdrn

Thanks for posting those Debi, fantastic drawing and a great picture of your Mum.
I think there's a chance a picture of the car will be shown in next months Custom Car magazine so hopefully a few more memories will be jogged in to action.
 #28570  by ukdrn

Here's one from Nobby I've just found of the car sitting next to Pete Atkins altered.
Nobby-135.jpg
Nobby-135.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 9578 times
 #28776  by McGrathgirl

Hello again, I am still searching the corners of Dad's workshop and other hoarding places and have found a few more mementoes which I will attach. But the elusive fuel injection and exhaust manifold are still just that, elusive! However, my sisters and I are continuing our search and hope to find them. I have also made contact with my Dad's old friend and fellow mechanic Mick Cunningham who helped Dad construct the Gloink and he has confirmed that Gloink did in fact house a Jag 3.8 Mach 9 engine together with a Jag gear box and rear axle. I am about to get in contact directly with the Geoff who now owns the Gloink and will pass on my latest news. In the meantime please keep us posted with any of your new discoveries relating to the Gloink. Many thanks Debi & sisters :D
Article in Italian Magazine March 1969
Article in Italian Magazine March 1969
Italian article.jpg (735.51 KiB) Viewed 9180 times