UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#70  by ukdrn

Anyone have any info on these 2 cars?
I beleve the slingshot was raced by a female racer but I have no other details.

Not sure about this one...

#75  by timetravel

The bottom pic is the remains of the Panic Topolino after Dave Page hit the barrier and rolled at the Santa Pod Big Go in 1974. Dave was unhurt but the Panic Topolino was a write off and was replaced by the Panic T altered later in the year

#81  by muddytalker

The top photo is the remains of an Imp powered dragster built by Mick Wheeler for £100. Classed as a ‘mini rail' ‘The Scorpion’ ran 12 second quarter’s at 104 mph, and was powered by a 998cc Imp engine. Mick actually laid down in the dragster which was just a chassis with a motor attached at the rear end. If I can find a decent photo I’ll post it here.

The G/class dragster was later sold on to John Rotherham in 1970 before, as you say, to a female racer. Some more research will no doubt reveal the young lady’s name, probably the last time she ever drove a dragster! John, on the other hand later went on to race ‘Avanti’; the last remaining Allard Dragon kit dragsters in ‘73.

#82  by ukdrn

Iv'e seen that crash on one of your dvd's timetravel, didn't know that was the car in the pic though.

Do you know if the Driver was okay in that crash muddytalker?

#83  by muddytalker

If you’re referring to the G/Class dragster I’m in the process of looking through all the race reports in Drag Racing News and National Drag Racer in the time period of 1971-1973. Hopefully, later I will come up with the young lady’s name!

#85  by muddytalker

Here's a photo of the original 'Scorpion' dragster from a feature printed in the July 1968 edition of 'Drag Racing & Hot Rod' magazine.

#90  by ukdrn

That's a crazy little rail, more like a go kart. Not much of a frame for a 12 second car either.

#97  by Sam

I believe the female driver of the first car may have sustained a broken leg (or both) when the throttle jammed open as she was push started on the old fire up road, the car hit the barrier in front of the barn.

PS, it could have been a Heather someone, dunno why thats sticking in my mind.

Sam

#108  by timetravel

Just come across the report of the "Scorpion" crash in the Oct '73 National Drag Racer Mag. The lady's name was Rosemary Crick and you're right Sam she hit the safefty fence coming down the fire-up road, fracturing a leg and cheek bone. Bob Phelps had to cut the frame from round her to get her out of the dragster.

#114  by muddytalker

Well spotted TimeTravel. I didn't think to look in the 'Pit Talk' pages of the magazine. Like you, I spent time reading through all the race reports, but at least we've reached a conclusion and put facts to the picture which is what this forum is all about.