UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1204  by plymoutharrow

Was their a big meeting called "The World Series." in the 70s/80s when Raymond Beadle came over and their was a 16 car Funnycar eliminator? Were the cars all started up at the same time? Was this ever televised as it was a big event. I know Anglia televison reported when Don Schumacher came over and also the Garlits meet.
 #1205  by JonC

plymoutharrow wrote:Was their a big meeting called "The World Series." in the 70s/80s when Raymond Beadle came over and their was a 16 car Funnycar eliminator? Were the cars all started up at the same time? Was this ever televised as it was a big event. I know Anglia televison reported when Don Schumacher came over and also the Garlits meet.
The '79 world series had an eight car AA/FC field, culminating in the 6.00/6.04 Gene Snow / Raymond Beadle final. Unfortunatly the ITV technicians were on strike, and World Of Sport never got to show coverage.
The following year Don Prudhomme came over and a sixteen car eliminator ran, along with a 'second string' ladder, which seemed hastily organised because both Prudhomme andf Bootsie went out in the first round proper. This was shown on World of Sport, but I have never seen the (now surely out of copyright?) footage.

I have recently seen the World of Sport coverage of the '76 Garlits meet, and a scary bit of footage it is too. Those roll cage tubes sure look flimsy to me...

#1369  by plymoutharrow

Does anyone know where to obtain/locate some footage of The World Series Events?