UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#15253  by ukdrn

I didn't know Santa Pod actually brought Swamp Rat 21, I thought it was just left over here for a year so Don could race it again.
Good history section on Don's site now.
I'm sure I've seen that picture before :shock:
http://www.garlits.com/swamprat21.html
 #15260  by CRR

It was common knowledge at the time that SPR actually bought the car, that's probably why Dennis Priddle was allowed to run the car with his own engine at one of the Pod's meetings.
 #15261  by ukdrn

CRR wrote:It was common knowledge at the time that SPR actually bought the car, that's probably why Dennis Priddle was allowed to run the car with his own engine at one of the Pod's meetings.
Okay, I didn't know but now I do :)
 #15269  by Geofstilwell

So, what happened to the car?? I thought it was in the museum ??
 #15270  by GNRCUSTOMS

I have only just read my copy of Crazy Horses ( i know im a bit behind lol) Anyway theres mention to it in there along with several quotes that they bought several other dragsters and funny cars from the US racers

I.e The Snakes - US Army car which was repainted Yellow. Cant remember if it was the monza or the chevy?

I was told a little info that the Pod as got load of old drag racing vehicles locked up in one of the barns, Half of the Needle is there and the other half down at JWR. It was also stated they intend to build a museum on site to house these vehicle. Who knows Swamp Rat 21 could be amonst these vehicles
 #15271  by NitroWars

Geofstilwell wrote:So, what happened to the car?? I thought it was in the museum ??
Follow the link in the OP, scroll down a bit & all is revealed!
 #15288  by CRR

Don Garlits actually covers the story in his biography. He says that the original plan was to go to Sweden, race there and the Swedes would buy the car from him. That fell through but the British deal didn't. He raced at the Pod Easter 1976 and SPR kept the car.

He also says that whilst in the UK, he visited Lord Montagu's Motor Museum at Beaulieu which gave him the idea of opening his own museum back home. So I would assume that throughout 1976, he was making plans to start his own museum, and I would also assume that he got in touch with SPR about buying his car back which is why he came back over in the summer of 1977 to drive it at SPR again and then take it back to Florida.
 #15289  by stormbringer

CRR wrote:Don Garlits actually covers the story in his biography. He says that the original plan was to go to Sweden, race there and the Swedes would buy the car from him. That fell through but the British deal didn't. He raced at the Pod Easter 1976 and SPR kept the car.

He also says that whilst in the UK, he visited Lord Montagu's Motor Museum at Beaulieu which gave him the idea of opening his own museum back home. So I would assume that throughout 1976, he was making plans to start his own museum, and I would also assume that he got in touch with SPR about buying his car back which is why he came back over in the summer of 1977 to drive it at SPR again and then take it back to Florida.
Just to add a bit more detail.
SPR were happy/releaved to sell(or return) Garlits back his car as they were in serious financial difficulty after the robbery.
 #15291  by ukdrn

stormbringer wrote:
CRR wrote:Don Garlits actually covers the story in his biography. He says that the original plan was to go to Sweden, race there and the Swedes would buy the car from him. That fell through but the British deal didn't. He raced at the Pod Easter 1976 and SPR kept the car.

Just to add a bit more detail.
SPR were happy/releaved to sell(or return) Garlits back his car as they were in serious financial difficulty after the robbery.
I was wondering why they sold it back.