UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2433  by ukdrn

How many different places were drag racing shows held?
I know they held shows at Alexandra Palace, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Milton Keynes and that's all I can think of.
Anyone have any idea how many times the shows were held at these venues and the ones I've missed.
Here's a few pictures to jog some memories.

#2434  by Glenn R

Blackpool....

#2437  by Badger

April 80 - Northern Drag & Custom Show.
It was held in Harrogate (See feature July 80 HR&CUk).
Alleygator, Highway Patrol, Warlock FC, Bandag Bullet, Pennine Wheelie Car, Jean's T, Stardust Mustang etc ... along with a vast display of the top rods and customs of the day.
Regretably I never made it to Belle Vue, (How can you live in the North at the time) make it to an Ally Pally Show - 82, but never the big show in Manchester! But I did attend this show in Harrogate - which was great.

#2439  by Badger

Oh Sheffield Arena, around 93? The Power and Custom Show? I think Paul Haigh of YSR organised it. The Bud FC etc were on display amongst others if I remember. They ran a similar deal in Feb 96 I went to at the same venue. Only the Pennine stand this time, Murt and Dave Grady manning the drag racing video's and flanked by Brian Burrows 'Outrage' Beetle and Trevor Graves SG Sierra.
I know I'm mixing shows here, we were looking for drag racing exclusive shows weren't we.

#2445  by muddytalker

What about Britain's First National Dragster Show held at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon in 1969 organised by the British Drag Racing & Hot Rod Association. The BDR & HRA (Channel Islands Division) held a similar show at the Springfield Ballroom in St Helier, Jersey also in 1969 in the summer. The Croydon Show was held in January.

#2447  by muddytalker

Just found this the original ad for the Fairfield Halls show printed in 'Motoring News'.
Also below is the front cover of the show guide for the St Helier Show which I purchased on e-bay recently. Perfect and in mint condition. Goes well with my original Drag Racing Hand Book also from '69.

#2449  by Badger

MT, do you know what cars/bikes were taken over to Jersey for the show?

#2452  by muddytalker

According to the Show Guide, both 'Commuter' and the wheelie Stingray were the stars of the show with back-up from;

Tony Anderson's 'Trouble' V6 Ford Dragster
Robin Ditcher's 'Warbird' modified 998cc Vincent
Allan Herridge 'Motovation' Chevy dragster
'Opus One' altered of Dave Collis
Colin Mullan's 'Invader' Viva GT Altered
Harold Bull's 'Stripduster' BMC dragster
Colin Kettley's 'Hemini'
'Gold Rush' Ford Pop of Pat & Chris Church
John Siggery's 'Geronimo' Oldsmobile dragster
Benbow - Fullerton T altered
Les Turner's 'Soopa Doopa' 750cc Triumph drag bike
JWR 'Whistler' Scimitar GTE
Alf Hagon's Jap drag bike

Now whether the list is accurate or not I'm not sure!

#2457  by Badger

Quite a line-up. An extroadinary location for the show. It's new info on me that one. Imagine a wander around those exhibits now - phew.

Thanks for info MT