UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#20845  by kal

jaytee wrote:Any info on these
http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/li ... =pic13.jpg
I was wondering about those as well.
How quick did they run?

For me, this man is still the king of them all.
I dug out the first shots I took of Captain Jack on the line at OCIR.
It still gives me goosebumps thinking of that run.
Jack McClure ready for a 200mph pass at night
Jack McClure ready for a 200mph pass at night
KL_McClure_1.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 16489 times
 #20847  by ukdrn

Thanks for that Keith, watching that must have been such a buzz.

You still get Karts turn up at some of Shakey's track days and it's a bit of a coincidence because I was telling one of these guys yesterday (30-10-10) about drag Karts and Captain Jack in particular.
SCR-HAL-2010-10.jpg
SCR-HAL-2010-10.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 16440 times
SCR-HAL-2010-09.jpg
SCR-HAL-2010-09.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 16440 times
 #20851  by kal

ukdrn wrote:Thanks for that Keith, watching that must have been such a buzz.

You still get Karts turn up at some of Shakey's track days and it's a bit of a coincidence because I was telling one of these guys yesterday (30-10-10) about drag Karts and Captain Jack in particular.
What sort of times do they run Jon?

Recently I have been in contact with Jon Lundberg, who many will know as the sports's legendary announcer, and sent him a picture of him commentating at OCIR back in 1973.
That got me having a look through some old stuff - and I have just been listening to something for the first time in ages, and which brought back all the memories of Captain Jack. While taking that shot of Jack 37 years ago on the start line I had a tape recorder with me. :D
Guess I am going to have to try and copy that and post it, as it is really worth a listen to - especially Jon's reaction to Jack running 6.2s/199mph at night. He was nearly half a second quicker than the funny cars which ran just before him!
 #21290  by herb andrews

[quote="kal For me, this man is still the king of them all.
I dug out the first shots I took of Captain Jack on the line at OCIR.
It still gives me goosebumps thinking of that run.[/quote]

Keith

Phil Burgess is preparing an article on Captain Jack. In his Nov 16th blog he mentions talking to Jack "this week", I'm amazed the Capt is still with us, after driving that kart! http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/.
That will be an interesting read.

How about the detail on Tom McEwen's ramp truck, thats being restored by Don Prudhomme.

Herb
 #21316  by kal

Hi Herb,

I have been corresponding with Phil Burgess about Jack McClure and another item.
Looking forward to his piece about Jack.
 #21337  by torment

this is my mate scotts kawasaki powered kart....with nitrous....
Attachments
mad scott...jpg
mad scott...jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 16627 times
 #21441  by muddytalker

jaytee wrote:Any info on these
http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/li ... =pic13.jpg
These are friends of Ian Bennett (in the background in the red overalls) who put our track dryer together. They often bring there karts to Shakey for a private meet. In fact Ian and his mate Adrian were at the track today servicing the jet for the winter.
 #21460  by herb andrews

torment wrote:this is my mate scotts kawasaki powered kart....with nitrous....
What times does it run?

Herb
 #21469  by torment

i think it run a ten before,hes been muttering about doing another with a bigger motor....think i will have to call him and find out..
 #21470  by muddytalker

This is Scott Coopers Kart from Burton-upon-Trent; one of the fastest in the UK! He ran at our mid October PTD weekend. From his Facebook page (Coopers Drag Kart) the kart has run a best of 11.6 I believe at Santa Pod. I can't remember what it ran at Shakey but I'll try and find out.