UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1627  by muddytalker

Crikey, yes I remember that too. You're right herb the back end did come from a lawn mower and came complete with the original roller I recall but, due to safety reasons, the blades had been removed and hence the Webb Lawnmower logo on the side.

Could do with seeing a race number and must have been entered as a dragster. Looks from the position of the engine that it could be a BMC lump, and from the era of Hesketh F1 Racing judging by the Hesketh Racing teddy bear sticker on the rear of the car, vehicle, or whatever you want to call it!

#1648  by muddytalker

Jon, ID's for kart pictures on page 1 consist of Peter Gayton’s 650cc Triumph powered kart ‘Authority’. That’s Peter, who later went on to become a NDRC/NDRA marshal, to the right of the picture. To the left is Liz and Ollie Burns injected Top Comp Altered, and I would say that’s Liz sitting on the tool box!

The second picture features one of my dad’s old sparing partner’s Bob Harman with another Triumph powered Kart; 748cc’s powered this one which was first called ‘Project 1’ and then ‘Mothers Ruin’. Following a successful career on the strip Bob later moved on to selling American cars.

#1662  by muddytalker

I think this is the one I was thinking about early. Jack Daly’s Turbonique powered Kart which made its debut at the washed out Santa Pod Records Weekend in 1967. Looks strangely like the Alan Burgess Kart but longer in the wheelbase for the driver to lie down on rather than the traditional sitting position.

#1675  by muddytalker

Here’s another kart like dragster, Richard Jacobs ‘Little-by-Little’ powered by a 498cc Triumph.
Photo by Brian Clark

#1679  by ukdrn

muddytalker wrote:Jon, ID's for kart pictures on page 1 consist of Peter Gayton’s 650cc Triumph powered kart ‘Authority’. That’s Peter, who later went on to become a NDRC/NDRA marshal, to the right of the picture. To the left is Liz and Ollie Burns injected Top Comp Altered, and I would say that’s Liz sitting on the tool box!

The second picture features one of my dad’s old sparing partner’s Bob Harman with another Triumph powered Kart; 748cc’s powered this one which was first called ‘Project 1’ and then ‘Mothers Ruin’. Following a successful career on the strip Bob later moved on to selling American cars.
Thanks for the info Jerry, I never knew these things were so popular, a cheap way to go drag racing back then I suppose.
 #1685  by jaytee

JACK McCLURE
BEST TIMES 6.34 at 215

#1691  by herb andrews

Now, thats a scary ride if ever there was one!
Herb

#1711  by IanFeltell

muddytalker wrote:The second picture features one of my dad’s old sparing partner’s Bob Harman with another Triumph powered Kart; 748cc’s powered this one which was first called ‘Project 1’ and then ‘Mothers Ruin’. Following a successful career on the strip Bob later moved on to selling American cars.
Jerry,did bob have a triumph powered dragster that was red in it colour and it was similar to the other triumph power dragster called "Comet" :?:

#1717  by CRR

I actually saw Jack McClure at Orange County back in 1972 I think it was on the NDRC trip. Awesome and frightening at the same time!

#1721  by timetravel

Here's an article about Capt Jack McClure running at Orange County from National Drag Racer March '74 Image Image Image