UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2994  by babblerx

I have a couple of old pics of The Stripper mk1 (straight 6, open half mini body) if you would like them posted. Might be able to get hold of some more pics The Stripper mkII (Jag V12 with Reliant Supervan III body) - It was run by my dad before he sold it to Malcolm.

Will try and get some more info and photos from my dad. Not sure what he will have kept though.

Rich
 #2996  by ukdrn

Hi Rich, welcome to the forums.
babblerx wrote:I have a couple of old pics of The Stripper mk1 (straight 6, open half mini body) if you would like them posted
Would love to see the pictures, thank you.
 #2997  by babblerx

Had a quick look for the pics. Can only find 2 of Stripper (1 of the car and on of the engine) but will speak to my dad and see what else he or his mate Joe (who he built the car with) have got. As a bonus though, I also found a pic of Black Magic with the body propped up. As soon as I get the chance I'll scan all 3 and post them up :P

#2998  by Badger

Hi Rich,
Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Does your Dad still follow the drag racing?
I saw the car run a lot at York .. it won the class at one meet in 82? I think with consistent 11.2's.
The last time I saw it there it had the big V12 motor original red paint and Tom Grout's? name on the car as a mechanic? (Sketchy memory here).

Did it ever run quicker than 11.2, and what was 'Tom Dick and Harry's' I think it was called .. the big decal it ran near the rear arches?
 #2999  by babblerx

Hi again Badger,

Hopefully, I'm going to try and get the pics posted up today (if I can get my scanner working). I've also spoken to my dad this morning. He's well chuffed that he gets a mention on this forum :lol:

He's still well into his motorsport but has moved on to bikes now (due to take his full bike test next month - 2 months after turning 60...nutter!! :lol:). He's still good mates with Joe (not Tom) Grout who he ran the car with (in fact, they live about 50 yards from each other!).

He reckons, and I seem to remember being there when he did it, that the car's best run was 10.98 at 125mph...not bad for a Reliant!!

As for the Tom, Dick and Harry decal, I think that was actually on the back of the car, neither me or my dad can remember for certain, but what we do remember was Tom, Dick and Harry's was a local kids clothes shop who sponsered my dad and Joe. It was part of another clothes shop called G.K. Lees who also gave sponsorship. At one point the car was actually on display in the shop window for a while as part of a promotional campaign.

My dad is really keen to track down any pics of the car in it's last known guise (Luvverly Jubberly). Hopefully, someone might know Terry Meakins...would be great to get in touch with him.

He's also going to have a look for some more pics and ask Joe what he's got.

I'm hopefully going to sit down with my dad over the weekend sometime and go through some bits and pieces on the forum. I'm sure he'll have more info about some of the other cars and people mentioned on here (I know he was pretty friendly with the guy who ran The Hulk).

Rich

#3000  by babblerx

cunningplan wrote:Malcolm Frost brought it out as Firecracker with the Wild Bunch, it still had the blown V12 in it. then they fitted it with the Chevy motor. I think someone else ran it like this until it was tranformed into Luvverly Jubbly (Or something like that) and was last seen at York a couple of years ago.
I think Jerry would have more details.
Who is Jerry? Would like to get in touch with him to try and track down some pics of Luvverly Jubbly.

Cheers,
Rich

#3001  by babblerx

sid wrote:tony, the chap who ran the car at york is the same person i bought my slingshot off.
the chaps name is Terry Meakins, i still see him and his son at the track,his grandson rides a junior bke.

sid.
Sid,

Do you have any contact details for Terry Meakins? I'd love to see some pics of the old Stripper in it's last known guise.

Cheers,
Rich

#3002  by Badger

Thanks for the info Rich!

Jerry is Jerry Cookson of APIRA - Shakespeare County Raceway. (Moderator) - on this forum and on the panel of selectors for the Hall of Fame.

I thought the car ran a Buick motor as Fire-Cracker, but I could be wrong.

Hey, what happened to the mini bodied altered?

#3005  by babblerx

Badger,

I've managed to track down Terry and he is hopefully going to send me some pics of Luvvly Jubbly. Unfortunately, it is no longer around as, after years of racing and engine changes Roy Wilding inspected the chassis and reckoned it was unsafe. Terry kept the body until last year when it was burned. Shame really, but all good things come to an end.

I my memory serves me right, my dad sold the mini comp altered to a lad (Alfie) he worked with. Alfie then proceeded to roll it in his first race at York, breaking his shoulder in the process.

Still haven't had time to scan the pics, but rest assured I will. Will also post Luvvly Jubbly pics if/when I get any off Terry.

Rich
 #3010  by timetravel

babblerx wrote:
As for the Tom, Dick and Harry decal, I think that was actually on the back of the car, neither me or my dad can remember for certain, but what we do remember was Tom, Dick and Harry's was a local kids clothes shop who sponsered my dad and Joe. It was part of another clothes shop called G.K. Lees who also gave sponsorship. At one point the car was actually on display in the shop window for a while as part of a promotional campaign.

Rich
It's a bit fuzzy but here's a pic of the decal in question........ Image