UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2370  by Badger

An early 79 Hot Rod & Custom Uk has a feature on it - In the hands of Steve and Leone Murty. Leone at the wheel I think in the pics.
I'll have to dig out the details.

#2372  by sjb

chears!
i do like these cars :D
be good to see drive train pics

#2395  by excompsec

Here it is four wheelin!!
Sorry if the full size image comes out ENORMOUS! My computer skills are pretty limited but you can just make out that all four wheels are off the ground.
Photograph by Jim Moran.

Engine was/is, I believe, a 455 cu in Olds with a slush box and powerboat V drive to rear axle. Rear wheel steering accomplished via independent rear brakes coupled to "paddles" behind the steering wheel.
Murt later updated the bodywork by fitting later model panels ahead of the windscreen. If I can get them to upload properly I have a couple of colour photos.

#2396  by excompsec

Here are the colour images.

Photos by excompsec

The enlarged image is still HUGE but at least you get to see the detail!! :oops:

#2397  by excompsec

3 replies in a row and mortally embarrassed!!

Apologies everyone, the messages should have been posted under the thread of Where are they now - wheelie cars!

Teamscoop, your photo of the Vauxhall wagon shows a two door. Were there two wheelie Vauxhalls or just one rebodied?
 #2398  by Teamscoop

This one was called 'Second Invention'. I assumed there was only one! :D

#2399  by timetravel

sjb wrote:anybody no if that FD Victor was featured in any mags :?:
Here's a feature from the Aug 1974 National Drag Racer...... Image

#2400  by timetravel

Badger wrote:An early 79 Hot Rod & Custom Uk has a feature on it - In the hands of Steve and Leone Murty. Leone at the wheel I think in the pics.
I'll have to dig out the details.
Here's that feature Badger. It doesn't mention when the body changed but my guess is Brian Richards changed it when he swapped the Jag motor for the Pontiac.... Image Image

#2402  by Badger

Thanks TT, that had slipped my mind. Your theory about the body swap is probably correct.
Whatever, it was a handful on the strip. I've seen Murt in the field a couple of times when the car became wayward. Plenty of power but a challenge keeping it locked in place with the nose in the air.
The wheelie stingray on the other hand seemed to snap into position and stay locked there .. The Vauxhall though had the unpredictability factor which added to the entertainment.
In terms of it as a promo vehicle for York Raceway, it really did get around the show circuit. It was in the lobby as saw part of the Pennine stand at a custom show I attended at Donnington in early 79. Again featured in HR&C Uk. Did you get to that show Nick?

#2407  by timetravel

No that's one show I didn't go to.