UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#855  by ukdrn

Built in 1961 by Sydney Allard the car now resides in the 'Beaulieu National Motor Museum'
By the end of the 1962 season the car had ran a best time of 10.48
In 1963 Sydney formed the British Drag Racing Association and match raced Dante Duce from the US in Dean Moons Mooneyes digger.
Sydney died on April 12th 1966.
If you wish to visit the museum to see the car then check with them first as they rotate the displays.
http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/motormuseum/introduction.cfm

#894  by timetravel

Here's a few pics of the Allard dragster in it's heyday. The first has Sydney Allard behind the butterfly, then it's Gerry Belton (B.D.R.A. Secretary) causing a crowd and the colour pic shows it recording it's best ET a 10.28 at Blackbushe in 1964 with Alan Allard driving alongside Dante Duce in Moonbeam. Image Image Image

#899  by Les-the-Pres

Don't know about anyone else but the young lad on the far right of the black & white pic is my brother Mike, Now passed on like our Dad who was Clerk of the course at Kemble, I'll have to drag out some of the stuff in the scrapbook at the Motor club, Anyone in the Cheltenham Area is welcome on a Tuesday evening for a natter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#902  by gingermanjma9

Sorry need to read more before posting!!
thanks any way
Matthew

#903  by timetravel

Les-the-Pres wrote:Don't know about anyone else but the young lad on the far right of the black & white pic is my brother Mike, Now passed on like our Dad who was Clerk of the course at Kemble,
So was that pic taken at Kemble Les?

#905  by Les-the-Pres

I must presume so, But we did see the car at Prescott Hill Climb and Brighton Speed trials, There is one face that could be a motor club member which would bring it back to Kemble, Like I say I'll have to go through the (very comprehensive) scrapbooks, Les S.

#997  by ukdrn

Here's something I found in the June 78 issue of 'Hot Rod & Custom UK'.
It shows when the car was up for sale for £1000.

#1233  by muddytalker

Just found this gem in the Autojumble section of this year’s Autosport International Show at the NEC. There’s no ID on the back other than the photographers name but, judging from the photos surrounding’s the 'Allard Dragster', complete with its split body panels must have been on display at either the 1963 or 1964 BRSCC Racing Car Show's at London's Olympia.

A Geoffrey Goddard Photo.

#1386  by muddytalker

John Long has forwarded this page from a 1963 issue of 'Modern Rod' magazine featuring the first Allard dragster.

#1479  by muddytalker

John Long has sent across from the shores of Ireland these pages about Sydney Allard and the Allard Dragster from the September 1964 issue of ‘Modern Rod’ magazine.
ImageImage