UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#9587  by Andy Burfitt

Prince Of Wales wrote:Whatever happened to Themis body?

Owner Colin Fisher had it painted a striking lime green in preparation for the 1976 season. He took it Long Marston for pre season practice and in running hard on the runway where the Sunday market was held the car suddenly veered hard right just at the point where the peritrack crossed. Themis was out of control and continued at speed until colliding with the hedge row. Colin was shaken but OK, but that incident totalled the body on its one and only outing in new colours.
The picture of Boss Cat with the blue body on the previous page was exactly how it was bought from Colin in 79/80, Must have been a different one to the one that you have described.

Andy
 #9590  by ukdrn

Prince Of Wales wrote:Whatever happened to Themis body?

Owner Colin Fisher had it painted a striking lime green in preparation for the 1976 season. He took it Long Marston for pre season practice and in running hard on the runway where the Sunday market was held the car suddenly veered hard right just at the point where the peritrack crossed. Themis was out of control and continued at speed until colliding with the hedge row. Colin was shaken but OK, but that incident totalled the body on its one and only outing in new colours.
Is this the car your talking about? We've been trying to ID this one on another thread for a long time now.
 #9597  by ukdrn

Prince Of Wales wrote:
Tyres are a bit confusing though. Can't remember whether Themis ran slicks in 75/76.
Here's one from the Acceleration Archive, not sure what year but no slicks.
1-CA-172.jpg
1-CA-172.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 11229 times
 #9598  by timetravel

Well done guys I think you've cracked it. Looking at the front axle, batwings, wheels, tyres and roll cage etc it must be the same car. I think what fooled us when we were unable to id the green Topolino is that it looks like 3 headers coming out the side suggesting a V6 but on closer inspection there is a forth pipe hiding behind the third.........
 #9604  by jaytee

In it's short life I think the Hillbillies Transcontinental FC was pushstarted
 #9734  by ukdrn

Ed Shaver getting a push, what is that stuck on the front of the car?
Picture:John Kent.
 #9762  by martyn b

Looks more like a page from a programme to me ie one of the pieces of rubbish that seemed to collect along the fire up road.
Heres a later photo without said accoutrement(!)
scan0009.jpg
scan0009.jpg (224.17 KiB) Viewed 11354 times
Snetterton, I think.
 #9763  by herb andrews

Prince Of Wales wrote: One other thing. It was in that car that I (probably) became the only person in the world to push start an AA/FC. The rear engined f/c was just 39 inches tall, the roof being 2 inches lower where the bug catcher came through.
Going a bit off Norms original thread but theres one more to add to the list, if it ran in AA/FC, and thats Phil Elsons capri bodied Sneaky Gloworm. Thats shown being push started on one of TT's video's
Herb
 #29144  by Primerracer

tony morris wrote:Norm another one of your cars has shown up after 12 years in hiding, Apollo is coming back out this year after the owner Uwe Kulecki from Team Quicksilver put the altered to rest back in 1996. Team Quicksilver will be contesting the new Super Pro ET Challenge http://www.suproet.com/ in Germany this year with Uwe son Maximilian Kulecki behild the wheel.

This is how the Altered looks today.

Chunky Morris
just came along this thread with google, i´m the actual owner of the apollo altered :) Nice to read a bit of it´s history! Any more pictures, or infos about it? When and where was it excactly built? The picture is how it looks today, hope to race it soon! Now has 13b Rotary engine with many many mods and huge turbo and glide tranny...

best regards
Markus Witte (germany)
www.wankel-dragracing.de ;)
Attachments
389707_3871728038580_1440019270_33499917_90651140_n.jpg
389707_3871728038580_1440019270_33499917_90651140_n.jpg (130.23 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
 #29145  by stevey

Wow Marcus that looks like a fine piece of work I would love to hear that run!
good luck
Steve