UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#6694  by MGBV8

When I lived in Uxbridge back in 1982 I had a nieghbour across the road who had a bright yellow (I think) Willy's Coupe with Slick Willy written on the side.
I never got to meet him. But boy did it sound good when he drove it up on the trailer.
 #6696  by flying toilet

MGV8 - There was a yellow Willys called 'Septic Willy' is that the one?
 #6700  by ukdrn

MGBV8 wrote:When I lived in Uxbridge back in 1982 I had a nieghbour across the road who had a bright yellow (I think) Willy's Coupe with Slick Willy written on the side.
I never got to meet him. But boy did it sound good when he drove it up on the trailer.
I'm sure Bob came from Uxbridge/Hillingdon, that must have been the same car I would have thought.
 #6701  by VTR

MGBV8 wrote:When I lived in Uxbridge back in 1982 I had a nieghbour across the road who had a bright yellow (I think) Willy's Coupe with Slick Willy written on the side.
Have a look at the address on the flyer that Badger has posted above, if it's the same as where you lived then it probably was the same car.

http://upload7.postimage.org/499278/photo_hosting.html
 #6702  by Badger

No, Septic Willy - debuted by Ben Lucas that was 92. Slick Willy when it first appeared was yellow .. ran the first few meets and did the CC Olympia show in that colour. 83 the car went white and blue ..
 #6703  by JonC

flying toilet wrote:MGV8 - There was a yellow Willys called 'Septic Willy' is that the one?
Bob West's Slick Willy was yellow before the Pioneer deal

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=365&start=8

Re:

#32298  by herb andrews

herb andrews wrote:A few thoughts on Bob’s Slick Willy

*I ran against Bob a few times. Was that Blown Hemi noisy! Once he was staged or got the R’s up doing a burnout it was very difficult to make out if my little small block was even running! Slick Willy had a reputation for taking the long way down the track and I recall Bob coming over after one particular run and apologising as he was all over the lane, luckily I was unaware how close he got.

*In 83 Bob and I had a friendly rivalry going as to who would run an 8 first, as we both ran in D Comp Altered. However this was put on hold when I broke the rear end gears, as at the time I was 4th in the BDRA championship and new gears were not available before the next meeting, so I needed to find some gears quick or lose some ground. Bob was also running an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end and offered his spare gear set as soon as he heard of my problems. Although they had seen better days (hence ‘spare set’) and were not the same ratio they did the job for the meeting and ultimately helped me finish the year in 3rd place.
As a side note, after I broke the replacement gears, as well, I changed to a Dana axle, and had no further breakages. I gave the Chrysler rear end casing to Dave and Sue Coles, who fitted it to Norms Plan X.

*When I ran my first 8 I phoned Bob with the good news to be told by Angie that he had just rolled Slick Willy for the second time at Long Marston and that Bob was sore and shook up some but ok. That news of course tempered down my excitement.

*As well as T-shirts Bob had Slick Willy stickers made. Such was the general pi** taking, good humour and already mentioned rivalry that when Bob rolled the car the first time at Blackbushe we carefully cut the sticker, turning the picture of Slick Willy upside down and stuck it to the tow car side window. Next meeting at the Pod we were in the fire up road, Bob came by, stopped for a chat and then shortly afterwards noticed the sticker, quickly followed by ‘you ba*s*ard! Its one of those ‘it was funny at the time’ situations

*The last time I met Bob was at Detroit airport in 95. We were on the way back from Pomona and out of nowhere Bob appeared to say hello! Brian Thomas tells me Bob is now living in the Stokenchurch/Wallingford area.

Herb
Robin Read reminded me at Dragstalgia about the modified stickers mention above...... lol
Robin Read reminded me at Dragstalgia about the modified stickers mention above...... lol
Bob W.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 6656 times
 #32303  by pops charman

I had a feeling that Duncan Purcell brought the car into UK in early eighties, as I am sure I remember seeing it in yellow with original chassis painted blue and car sat high.

Nigel
 #32304  by herb andrews

pops charman wrote:I had a feeling that Duncan Purcell brought the car into UK in early eighties, as I am sure I remember seeing it in yellow with original chassis painted blue and car sat high.

Nigel
That was another one Nigel, Bob imported his, just coincidence both were yellow
 #32315  by timetravel

herb andrews wrote:
pops charman wrote:I had a feeling that Duncan Purcell brought the car into UK in early eighties, as I am sure I remember seeing it in yellow with original chassis painted blue and car sat high.

Nigel
That was another one Nigel, Bob imported his, just coincidence both were yellow
yes as Herb says Duncan's was another car, here it is in '85...
Garys_Picnic_SP_0806850020.jpg
Garys_Picnic_SP_0806850020.jpg (220.44 KiB) Viewed 6545 times