UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#6571  by MisteR Tee

Came across this rolling chassis in Austria whilst re-patriating an old Comp Altered with a friend, it was found originally in a garden near Santa Pod!

The unusual things about it are the way the front axle mounts to the chassis via a vertical flat plate on the front crossmember & the front "sting ray" spoiler is made of steel. It has green paint on the roll cage & the owner was told it had a Hemi in it originally.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/t ... ldragster/

Anyone recognise it?

Maurice
Attachments
sling09.jpg
sling09.jpg (257.08 KiB) Viewed 17851 times
 #6573  by timetravel

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a pic of that chassis was posted on this forum recently but I can't remember which thread it was on..........
 #6576  by Badger

Yeah we've seen those pics here before ..a good while back. I can't remember which thread either, there's so few clues to go on .. those rear Bearclaws might not of been on the rail when it was running for example.

A scandinavian Pro Comp or fuel car? Whatever, it's in bad shape!
 #6579  by Badger

Maurice,
The key to unravelling the car's history might lie in the garden where it was discovered near the Pod. If it was an ex racer who was the last keeper, a name will help us decide it it was ever run under that owner and the cars ID.. if we knew where he got it from that could also give us the answer?
We understand of course though if that info is unknown or not to be made public...
 #6588  by MisteR Tee

Thanks guys, didn't realise it had been on here before, maybe the owner tried to find out about it? I think the problem is as he didn't do the original deal, his friend did, he doesn't know many details about its location. i'll try & find out a bit more if possible. Stay tooned!
 #6591  by Dave gibbons

I've spoken with Maurice about this one.

My first thought was that it was a Herridge/Santa Pod frame, but if the front wing that is with it is made of steel that seems unlikey, as the Phelps' would've made it from fibreglass - as would Pat Cuss. I think the key is in the unusual way the front axle is mounted to the frame, I've never seen it done that way before.

I had thought (hoped) that it might be Stormbringer, but I forgot that car got crashed in the hands of Dave Wilson, and because of the green paint thought of The Lizard, but apparently that got crashed too. Unless of course someone fixed them, I don't know the extent of the damage to either - maybe that would explain the front axle fixing?

Whatever it is it's been around this long and deserves to have it's identity known.

Hmmm... curious.

Dave Gibbons
 #6596  by JonC

???

Front end and wheels look possible, as does top line of chassis. Steel panels on Austria car look like they have been formed by bending over someones knee, and could be a later addition. Wing struts very close, but wing narrower on rusty version. The 'Hemi' description would tie in. I know HH2 had solid front wheels in the early '80's, but could the Stones have taken the later stuff off HH2 to put on HH3, putting the older stuff back on to sell?

Thats my theory, anyway...
 #6598  by fester

hemi hunter i believe ,is complete and lives in the hunter plastics trailer in broad street dagenham ,same road as me mum lives in.
 #6602  by Dave gibbons

Hemi Hunter was Chevy powered (the clue was in the name!) and the Austria car was apparently Hemi powered, the cage however looks right, but I'm not convinced about either wing.