UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#5845  by STP300E

In 1996 I took photos of the remains of American Dream, Mike Allens funny car and The Scorpion jet dragster, these were at the back of Santa Pod and they looked like they had been dumped there. Does anyone know what happened to these cars, have any photos or any history of them?
old funny car.jpg
old funny car.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 11330 times
sc1.jpg
sc1.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
 #5846  by Badger

That's interesting the times I looked over at the old Cuda back then going in and out of the Pod, I didn't realise it was sat on a chassis .. the original I hope. Talk of a resto on this for many moons and if that is the Starduct chassis the main elements are there!
I think the body certainly has lived in doors for arround 10 years now ..
 #5848  by ukdrn

That's a sad picture :( .American Dream was the former Stardust funny Car which was run in the US by Don Schumacher and came to the UK in 1973,I believe that very car won the US Nationals in 1970,interesting to see a chassis under the body,if you use the search function STP you will find loads on Stardust.
I don't know where Scorpion is now but should be saved for a British drag museum if it ever happens.
Stardust as it should look.
stardust2.jpg
stardust2.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 12153 times
Picture:Colin Barlow
stardust1.jpg
stardust1.jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 12152 times
Picture:Terry Ayres
 #5849  by JonC

A quick search on here, PH and the old DWFF on the topic of old Stardust should keep you busy for several hours, lol.

I am told that owning that body again is fairly high on Don Schumachers wish list...
 #5851  by ukdrn

JonC wrote:A quick search on here, PH and the old DWFF on the topic of old Stardust should keep you busy for several hours, lol.

I am told that owning that body again is fairly high on Don Schumachers wish list...
Don wrote to me years ago asking about the car,I rung Santa Pod at the time but didn't get any where with my inquiry.
And don't forget to search the Acceleration Archive which hasn't been online today for some reason.
http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/
 #5864  by Glenn R

Last time I was in the workshop it was tucked away in the corner under a pile of, well just about everything. Going down in a couple weeks, I'll try to get some pics.
 #5866  by MotorPsycho

last time I saw Scorpion (a year or two ago) it was sat in the yard opposite the main entrance to the Pod
 #5900  by STP300E

:D Thank you very much for the great response, I didn't no that American Dream was originally Stardust. Have just checked out the acceleration archive another great site. Loads to look at. It would be great to see these cars restored to their former glory. 8)
sc2.jpg
sc2.jpg (141.05 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
 #5901  by TimeMachine

STP300E wrote:It would be great to see these cars restored to their former glory.
I'm not sure Scorpion ever had any glory but that is another can of worms...
 #37635  by hawkthesprayer

I sprayed American dream funny car for mike allen and gary from gary shack it have the snorkel on it then and didn't spray the teeth and eyes it had the stardust grille and lights the body was sprayed in garage in Battersea just maybe a bit of intrest to someone out