UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#5105  by cunningplan

muddytalker wrote:Tony, I don't believe that Steve's wheelie truck was ever cast as wheelie cement mixer. I seem to recall either in the late eighties or early ninties that another wheel standing truck was around at Avon Park and that it was red, but I recall reading that the driving was to be done by a school boy! How true that is someone else on the forum might be able to clairify!
I am sure that school boy was Steves son, but dont quote me on that.
 #5122  by muddytalker

This turned up at Hockenheim one year but I can't remember who it was. I've got an idea it might have been Lupo! In fact I remember one year when I went out with the FAST safety crew this wheel standing new style Beetle turned up at Hockenheim. We had just finshed cleaning up an oil down from one of the Top Fuel cars on finals day when Rico decided to run the wheelstander. On full power it bounced from one wheel to the other and then got so out of control that it kissed the wall and rolled over onto its roof several times adding more drama to the day. Wish I could remember. I'll have to look out the old programmes for a name check.
 #5128  by TimeMachine

Is it possible that the picture above from muddytalker is the previously posted Renault Espace of Lupo sans body? It looks about the right dimensions to fit.
 #5137  by jaytee

Just seen this on ebay
Attachments
1 wheelstander.jpg
1 wheelstander.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 10694 times
 #5145  by muddytalker

Yes Time Machine. You could be right. Here's another shot of the Espace at Hockenheim, Has anyone any photos of his wheelie Beetle!
 #5146  by muddytalker

Just come across this article which includes a photo of the aforementioned crash at Hockenheim in 2004 involving Lupo's Beetle.
 #5150  by TimeMachine

Looking at this picture from the website the chassis MT posted a picture of certainly appears to be of similar construction to the one in the beetle:

I then tracked down a page on the Espace: http://luporacing.com/pages/espace.html#

I think this confirms it:

#5178  by muddytalker

TimeMachine wrote:Talking of wheelstanders I remember going to Long Marston (as I think it still was back then) when I was a nipper (so in the 80's then - sorry if I make anyone feel old...) and seeing a huge red truck, I think it was a tanker, which reared up and settled on a jockey wheel on the back then started to perform pirouettes - does anyone else remember this and if so do they have pictures? I don't think I am imagining it,
Thanks Time Machine. Sure does confirm it. However, look like Les the Pres has come up with the answer to your question. Not quiet a cement mixer but... This one was called ‘The Rocket’ and quiet rightly pictured at Avon Park. Has anyone else got any pictures....!
Photo by Les Sanderson
 #5182  by TimeMachine

Thats the one! I don't remember it having coloured tripes but that is undoubtedly the truck I was thinking of.

Anyone know any more about it?