UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#311  by ukdrn

Was this the car that Clive Skilton Imported in 1973? I know it was a 'Kuhl & Olson' car but I don't know what date this picture is

#334  by timetravel

I'm 99.9% sure that is the car. If you look at Clive's Revolution 4 as it was in '73 the stickers on the windscreen are the same with the addition of a National Drag Racer sticker which was put on top of the National Dragster sticker as you can still see the top of the star.

#335  by timetravel

Here's the National Drag Racer centre spread for Nov '73. The car was rebuilt and updated at Woody Gilmore's before Clive got it as it had crashed at Amarillo and you can see the canard wings were removed. Image

#364  by ukdrn

2 More of the car from Donald Cross.

#387  by Sam

Yes it was rebuilt before clive got it, I remember it well, this was the car that had a front tyre deflate cusing clive to clip the lights at the top end (santa pod) and it ran along the famous earth boxes until it dived thro a gap).

No one ever wanted to torque the rear wheels up on this car as the wheel studs had a habit of breaking (<-- useless bit of info)

I spent 4 evenings searching the area of the crash for one half shaft that went missing (If anyone has a copy of the santa pod pictorial there's a picture in one of them of the crashed car, in one of the smaller pictures there's a UFO ( which I think could have been the missing halfshaft flying off into the cornfield on the right of the track) of course I was not allowed to look there as Ernie valued the corn more)
oh and that guy winding the chute up is yours truely

Dennis prid rebuilt the car and it was sold on to liz and ollie burn (liz crashing it at snetterton)

#426  by ukdrn

Here's a pic of the car after the crash at Santa Pod, looking at the back of that guys trousers it wasn't only Clive that had a scare. That's not you Sam is it
Image:Alan Mosely

Not the luckiest car in drag racing, here is the car after Liz Burn crashed it.
Image:John Long

#435  by IanFeltell

did liz walk away ok from this crash??

#438  by IanFeltell

tog wrote:Yes, Liz walked away from the crash. I remember reading at the time that Liz missed the chute handle and the car started wandering whilst she was trying to find it. In one of those little circles of fate, the car in the other lane, which the Lizard clipped, was being driven by Dennis Priddle.
ah! i have seen the picture of dennis priddle car somewhere with one of his rear wheel busted by Liz!! :shock: i bet he had to have a quick change underwear after! :lol:

#444  by muddytalker

The incident occurred at the 1975 May 3rd/4th Snetterton event promoted by European Dragways and the NDRC. Tog is indeed right about Liz missing the chute handle at the end of her first 200 mph run. In fact it was an 8.67 at 204 mph.

Exiting the lights Liz knew she was in trouble when she crossed lanes behind Dennis’ rail. Slowing with the chutes out, Liz clipped the back end of the 'Mr Revell' dragster damaging the right rear slick. Dennis brought his dragster to a safe stop but Liz went further on into the field, ploughing through a hedge, over a rise before coming to a stop on its side.

Liz was lucky to escape with just bruising, but the dragster suffered worst with a broken back just behind the drivers seat, and as you can see from the photo, there was nothing left of the front end. According to the report, the emergency services weren’t that clever either taking a full three minutes to get to the scene only to find Liz wandering around on her own.

Although Dennis suffered two cracked chassis rails in the crash, the ‘Mr Revell’ dragster recorded the first official six second pass at Snetterton; 6.72 at 200 mph.

And especially for Ian, here’s a few more photos of Dennis Priddle’s stranded dragster by John Long but, I’m still mystified about what the guy in the Castrol jacket is meant to be doing other than huddling from the cold Norfolk conditions that day.

#456  by muddytalker

As luck would have whilst trying to find something else I’ve just come across some more info on Clive’s 'Revolution'. The car was purchased from Mike Kuhl in November at the 1972 NHRA Supernationals. The car won the season opening ‘72 Winternationals before crashing at Amarillo, Texas but Mike agreed to rebuild it for Clive to race at the ‘73 Winternationals.

The chassis was a 235 inch Woody Gilmore creation where it found its way back there after the Texas crash and updated with all the latest ‘73 specs, except for the then current trend of no front suspension. The body work was made by Tom Hanna.

The dragster was to have had a Donovan for the Pomona meet but this didn’t arrive in time so Clive had to settle for a 392 put together by Don Beadle with help from Jim Dunn. How it ran we shall never know as the event was cut short by the weather before the dragster headed out to England.