UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#40138  by shasta

Posted a video of the bike turning over for the first time. It has got the plugs out and the clutch dis-engaged but it's a start. Be attempting it again with the plugs in and if it spins over fast enough, I'll go for a start!
Video at https://youtu.be/E7LnnzPKNxk
 #40139  by NitroWars

Very nice, you've done a good job there. Thanks for posting and I am looking forward to the next instalment and seeing the bike back on the track.
 #40151  by shasta

First starter motor came to nowt! Even with 24 volts through it, would not turn the engines over. Borrowed a small hi-torque starter motor from a friend who took it off his small block Chevy. However after weeks making up an adaptor to fit my starter 'spider' and making a handle arrangement, it all came down to a big FA in the spinning the motor over department!! I can't risk putting 24 volts through his motor as he wants it back undamaged, so the hunt continues. Anyone got any big hi-torque starters around under a bench?
 #40154  by shasta

Now building a 6:1 reduction gearbox to fit on the current starter I have. This should obviously increase the torque 6 fold with a similar reduction in speed but it should only need to spin over a few turns to fire up!
Be back with the update in a few weeks!
 #40158  by shasta

The reduction gearbox I've been working on is nearly finished, just one spacer to make when all bolted up and some guards to go on to prevent any fingers getting lost!
Photos show the construction from the blank sprockets to the finished item. Sprockets and bearings from Simply Bearings, ali plate from Metal Supermarkets is Southampton all other bits out of scrap box.
Will be fitting unit to the starter motor and then it's fingers crossed again to see if it works to plan!
Attachments
Sprockets as obtained
Sprockets as obtained
IMG_0002.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
Plates before machining
Plates before machining
IMG_0003.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
Ready for putting together
Ready for putting together
IMG_0001.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
More bits
More bits
IMG_0012.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
some components
some components
IMG_0011.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
All together
All together
IMG_0007.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
Finished unit
Finished unit
IMG_0008.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 24289 times
 #40168  by shasta

The gearbox is finally finished and fitted to the starter motor. As you are aware the motor had no problem spinning the motors over with the plugs out, but with them in it was another no-no. The photos show the finished article and the two video clips show what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQ8WiC4M3Q&t=60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurtUsCvOIw
Attachments
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 20418 times
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 20418 times
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 20418 times
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 20418 times
 #40170  by shasta

First attempt to start on Tuesday. New fuel in, battery connected, kill switch off, chokes on, spin over and.... bang; the new drive pin in the output sprocket breaks up. Guess being a hardened steel pin it was too brittle, so all apart again (getting quick at this!) and a 1/4 inch stainless steel pin goes it and ready for second attempt.
Spin over, the rear motor coughs and ... bang, the long starter handle snaps where it meets the starter motor. It was only thin walled steel tube, so off to the metal supermarket again, and 600 mm of 25 mm diameter solid aluminium bar awaits machining and fitting for the next attempt..............
 #40173  by MrPlod

Nice work - the bike looks the business , all the hard work shows - I'm surprised you can get all that in your 'garden shed' - bit like a Tardis :) - regards Kev