UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#39794  by gasser

On Sunday 20th September 1964 my fiancé and I went to RAF Chelveston Airfield near Wellingborough, Northamptonshire to watch the 1st British International Drag Racing Festival [sponsored by The People newspaper. The event was the brainchild of iconic motor racing driver and performance car builder Sydney Allard who now was the President of The British Drag Racine Association.
I still cherish the Official Programme {cost 2/6] which is autographed by Tommy Ivo [Showboat]; Tony Nancy [The Wedge] Don Garlits [The Swamp Rat] The Programme is in mint condition and so are the admission tickets[No: 104 and 105 cost 10/- and the car park ticket No 25 cost 5/-]
It seems like only yesaterday
 #39810  by David Kipling

Me too. I was newly-joined in the BHRA and surviving on Hot Rod Magazine and Kool Kams.
I went to Chelveston and like everyone else had my mind and ears opened. I remember the THUD when Tony Nancy's 22Jr hit the marker barrels at the end of the quarter. :)

For the last 20 years I've been announcer at my local [temporary] 1/8 mile strip here in west coast Canada.
[img][/http://www.oldstox.com/images/me%20at%2 ... 017.jpgimg]