UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#27998  by jd426

Re. the Pod's Pontiac ambulance. It was an ambulance not a hearse and I think it was ex-govt. from the DPDO at Molesworth, but Roy Phelps would know for sure.
The photo of Commuter and the FGR Plymouth featured Tony Densham, Peter Billinton, Stu Bradbury and Ian Denman. I don't know the photographer.
 #27999  by jd426

Re. Al's Hauler etc. Al also had a '68 Mustang convert., painted in the "fleet" black 'n flames with Al's something or other on the side. That was around '75.
I bought the Daytona Yellow, black roof and flames '61 Mk. Zephyr tow car (YUU 600) off Al in '73 for 125 quid. That had the full race eng. and box from the original Rocky 2 ('58 mk. Zodiac VLO 535) that he ran in D/M prior to fitting the 383 Chrysler/ex-Facel, Pont-a-Mousson 4-sp. and going into B/SA. I had a lot of fun in that car...
I also had a deal with Al in '75 where we swapped a slightly used (a chicken would've called it a 5-star hotel...) Pilot and a rust-free Pop body, chassis and doors for Al's driveable but "in need of some tlc" right-hook '57 Chevy Sport Sedan. That had a '61 327/BW T-10 and modified Scammell Highwayman front bumper for a back bumper! I believe the doors are still on the gasser to this day.
 #28000  by timetravel

jd426 wrote:Re. Al's Hauler etc. Al also had a '68 Mustang convert., painted in the "fleet" black 'n flames with Al's something or other on the side. That was around '75.
I bought the Daytona Yellow, black roof and flames '61 Mk. Zephyr tow car (YUU 600) off Al in '73 for 125 quid. That had the full race eng. and box from the original Rocky 2 ('58 mk. Zodiac VLO 535) that he ran in D/M prior to fitting the 383 Chrysler/ex-Facel, Pont-a-Mousson 4-sp. and going into B/SA. I had a lot of fun in that car...
I also had a deal with Al in '75 where we swapped a slightly used (a chicken would've called it a 5-star hotel...) Pilot and a rust-free Pop body, chassis and doors for Al's driveable but "in need of some tlc" right-hook '57 Chevy Sport Sedan. That had a '61 327/BW T-10 and modified Scammell Highwayman front bumper for a back bumper! I believe the doors are still on the gasser to this day.
great info jd, here's that 'stang. I think it said 'Al's Cruiser' on the side...
sp75b.jpg
sp75b.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 11529 times
 #28004  by jd426

It's coming back... Yes, of course the Mustang was "Al's Cruiser". Al bought that off Steven "Tich" Waltham from Rushden. Another ex-GI car, it came from Monty Ponsford's at Barton Mills and had a 289/C4 and a welded up diff. which made cornering somewhat interesting.
I also seem to remember the "Al's Hauler" Pilot as having only one brake out of four working. I seem to recall lots of smoke coming from the n/s/f tyre when Al pulled up outside the Feathers in Rushden High St. one night....
 #30158  by timetravel

034.jpg
034.jpg (116.41 KiB) Viewed 11174 times
John 'n' Ann Bennett atop the Spa Engineering tow truck at the '65 Dragfest... :D

(JWR Archives)
 #39466  by mwheeler

I have only just discovered UKDRN - with help from my son and Jon, so this reply to a question posted by Timetravel on Jan 30 2011 is somewhat late, but the answer is still valid.
He asks about the vehicle towing 'Juggernaut' shown refuelling at Souldrop Turn garage - must have been 1966/7 I think. The car is a 1948 Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane owned by Pete Mylrea and Mick Wells with whom I was a partner in East Essex Drag Racing before going it alone with Scorpion.
I think it was in 1969 that the three of us drove down to Monte Carlo for the Grande Prix - a memorable ride. Amongst all the common-as-dirt Ferraris, Lambos, Massers etc on parade round Monaco there was only one Armstrong Siddely. The car never missed a beat all the way there and back, but broke down on the way to the pub the day afterwe got home. A necessary acccessory when travelling in the AS was a pile of newspapers for the front seat passenger as the soft-top used to leak like a seive at the sign of rain. Oh happy days.
Scorpion G/D4
 #39467  by timetravel

Welcome to the forum Mick, hope you enjoy looking through all the posts and thanks for the answer...
 #39471  by plymoutharrow

Was wondering about the Hounddog Buick? pickup/tow car. Does anyone have any pictures of it? Iam guessing this wasn't a conversion that FGR did with the Plymouths?

PS: Thinking about it, it may of been another teams tow car?