UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#39276  by CRR

1972? The first drag race meeting at Long Marston Airfield wasn't held until September 1973! The first HRD at APR was held on 9/10 September 1989.
 #39282  by CRR

plymoutharrow wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm Although I thought the Stratford Airfield was active in sprints/drag races as early as the late 50s/early 60s?
You are correct to a certain extent as Long Marston Airfield hosted a very important annual sprint meeting organised by the Evesham AC from 1955 I believe until the late 1960's.
 #39312  by CRR

plymoutharrow wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm Did any of the popular fuelers (Commuter etc) run there in the late 60s/early 70s?
I don't think that Commuter ever ran there, but at the first ever drag race meeting at LM on 9th September 1973, the entries included the TF cars of Clive Skilton, Roland Pratt and Dennis Priddle. This meeting was held on the rather short runway which is now the market/pits.
 #39314  by plymoutharrow

I remember speaking to someone recently at the Pod. He couldn't remember what event it was but alot of the big names turned up. Unfortunately it wasn't advertised very well and no one really turned up. Iam guessing it wasn't the 75 event as there seemed quite a big crowd when they ran 1/8th mile.