UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#39154  by ColinF

hi, new to the forum so Happy New Year to all!
I recently picked up A Tank/top tube on ebay that the vendor thought was ex- Vincent sprinter. I'd seen one like it a couple of times at the Newark auto-jumble and thought it looked interesting but didn't want to pay the £75 asking price as it had some damage. Was watching this one on ebay and managed to miss the end of the sale.I happened to be watching Henry Cole's "shed and buried" on T.V. where he got hold of the "quarter master" sprint bike which reminded me of it so i checked the listing to see that it hadn't sold.I contacted the vendor who kindly re-listed it for me and i bought it for £35 plus the postage.
When i unpacked it i recognised the marker pen description on it as the one i'd seen at Newark!( i was meant to have it!).
Does anyone know anything about it? The layout certainly looks like some of the Vincent engined sprinters although it looks like it's been modified as some of the Bronze welding was obviously done after it was plated.I'd like to do something with it but would like to know if it rings a bell with anyone first.
Attachments
Sprint2.jpg
Sprint2.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
Sprint1.jpg
Sprint1.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
 #39157  by oily bike bloke

Hi, welcome to UKDRN.

Afraid I don't know anything about it, but there are many on here with a vast array of knowledge.

I've attatched a photo for maybe a bit of inspiration regarding what you're going to do with top-tube, sounds like it's going to be an interesting project.
Attachments
Vincent drag bike.jpg
Vincent drag bike.jpg (265.66 KiB) Viewed 9310 times
 #39158  by ColinF

Cheers, that's the sort of look i was thinking of.Sadly i doubt it'll be a Vincent motor though, not easy to get or affordable now. Will look for something period/interesting.Has to be said that this style of frame with Vincent power campaigned well beyond the Vincent's time as you probably know so it might end up with something early 70's ........roll on the Autojumbles!
 #39161  by ukdrn

Hi Colin and welcome to the website.
Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out.
Jon
 #39239  by ColinF

Although the frame/tube is similar to Vincent engined bikes like the one above and the Pegasus Vincents i have found some similarities to triumph engined bikes too.The Vincent ones have the centre engine mount but i've only found Triumph engined bikes with the "vertical" tube/tank at the rear.This one has obviously been cut down at some stage but would have resembled the shape of the Hagon bike in the picture
Attachments
Alf-Hagon-12.jpg
Alf-Hagon-12.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 9131 times
rear frame.jpg
rear frame.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 9131 times