UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#37380  by oily bike bloke

Nice photos of bikes and cars.

The 2014 Brighton Speed Trials took place after months of behind the scenes work, so thanks for a lot of work must go to the Brighton and Hove Motor Club (the organisers of the event), and the VMCC Sprint Section (who organised the motorcycle side of things).

Motorcycle 304 is an original Brooklands JAP and is ridden by a pal of mine, Frank, who is in his 80's! Sprinting can bring out the older machines, and riders of all ages.

Impulse is a blown Hillman Imp powered outfit owned Paul and restored a couple of years ago by my best mate Andy. Andy rode at this years event.
The engine runs on Methanol via a NEB (I believe) speedway clutch (Paul's into vintage speedway stuff) and Norton gearbox. The sparks are courtesy of a Scintilla.
New 4" M&H slicks became available a couple of years ago, which has allowed those machines with 'original' slicks to replace them, with riders reporting a higher level of traction.

Both machines, along with the blue Hagon Triumph, John Hobbs' Triumph and the other JAP, are regulars at VMCC Sprints.
 #38075  by oily bike bloke

For those that are interested, the 2015 Brighton Speed Trials are scheduled for Saturday 5th September.

As usual, the event is organised by the Brighton and Hove Motor Club, and they invite the Sprint Section of the VMCC (Vintage Motorcycle Club) to organise the 2 & 3 wheeled side of things.
 #38691  by oily bike bloke

A few months away, but here's the diary date for the 2016 Frosts National Speed Trials at Brighton (Brighton Speed Trials) - Saturday 3rd September.

As usual, the event is organised by the Brighton and Hove Motor Club, http://www.brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk/events.php

and they invite the Sprint Section of the VMCC (Vintage Motorcycle Club) to organise the 2 & 3 wheeled side of things.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VMCC-Spr ... 5211967714
http://www.vmccsprint.co.uk/vintage_cla ... rials.html
 #38790  by oily bike bloke

Copy of the flyer for the 2016 Brighton National Speed Trials
Attachments
Brighton_National_Speed_Trials_2016_.jpg
Brighton_National_Speed_Trials_2016_.jpg (555.43 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
Brighton_National_Speed_Trials_2016_reverse.jpg
Brighton_National_Speed_Trials_2016_reverse.jpg (492.8 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
 #38843  by oily bike bloke

Brighton runs a wide variety of motorcyles, this year ranging 1926/28 Douglas and a pair of 1930 Rudges ridden by a father & son, right up to stretched turbo Suzukis getting up to around 170mph, with a FTD being (I think) 9.03secs .
Unlike most sprints and drag meetings, all machines are subject to noise testing after the usual tech inspection, which can limit certain machines.

The Allard made it back to seafront after many years of absence and looked resplendent in the Brighton sunshine, a shame the noise regs prevented it from running up. Nice job chaps!

I took a few bike photos in the paddock, mainly of British stuff.

This T140 powered bike was brought over from France by Herve. Chatting to him during tech inspection, it appears the frame is a Kosman copy.
The French are getting a Vintage Drag Bike scene together - here's a link to the French site http://www.machinesetmoteurs.com/152/vi ... ssociation
Attachments
Herve brought this T140 over from France. From I could gather talking to Herve, the frame is a Kosman copy.
Herve brought this T140 over from France. From I could gather talking to Herve, the frame is a Kosman copy.
IMG_7098.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 10939 times
 #38844  by oily bike bloke

Nice little lightweight BSA C15 in Hagon frame

From the smell of the exhaust, it was running Methanol..............
Attachments
1960 BSA C15 in a Hagon frame, ridden by Amanda
1960 BSA C15 in a Hagon frame, ridden by Amanda
IMG_7106.JPG (975.07 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
 #38846  by oily bike bloke

Bob's 1000cc JAP in a Hagon-replica frame.

Bob often campaigns a Cotton JAP at Brighton, and in recent years kindly loaned me a little Hagon Triumph 500 to ride at the Speed Trials (thanks Bob)

With machines of a certain age, and with a paddock about 1/4 mile from the start line there's a lot of pushing, so the dependable support/help of friends is often called upon, these two wise men taking advantage of a well earned rest are regular hands ...........
Attachments
IMG_7111.JPG (973.5 KiB) Viewed 11004 times
 #38847  by oily bike bloke

Chris' Bailey Cole Douglas DT.

This dates from 1926/28, sounds great and is no slouch.
Attachments
Bailey Cole Douglas
Bailey Cole Douglas
IMG_7113.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 11003 times