UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#36662  by MisteR Tee

Just had the following email from Bob Keith to let me know that his original slingshot that he brought over here in 1964 & has been looking for ever since has finally been found & surfaced.

"Well Maurice, After almost 40 years of looking the Dos Palmas car has been found and in pretty good shape. I sure do wish the guy will sell it back to me for a price I can afford. If not that’s ok. At least it has been saved and Ray will do a outstanding job of restoration. Please pass this bit of information on to all the guys over there that have tried and help me over the years find the car and thank them for me. All the best Bob Keith."

The new owner is Ray Evernham, former crew chief to Jeff Gordon & now host of Velocity TVs Americarna. It's pretty well complete apart from an engine & looks to be a fairly straight-forward restoration (but we all know how that can change!!).

Regular readers may remember that Bob had recently completed a re-creation of the rail he took to Australia & that is now in a museum over there.

I have suggested that perhaps Bob might take a leaf out of Brian Taylor's book & start a restoration fund to buy it back & restore it, but either way we look forward to seeing how it progresses. More as it unfolds!
Doa Palmas slingshot.jpg
Doa Palmas slingshot.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
 #36898  by MisteR Tee

Further to this, Bob has emailed me some more pics of the rail & intriguingly seems to have done a deal to aquire it from Ray. I have asked for more details & to clarify this point, but he says several times that he's now looking for parts for it, so it looks like it's back with its original builder!!
IMG_7882.jpg
IMG_7882.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 13228 times
IMG_7883.jpg
IMG_7883.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 13228 times
IMG_7885.jpg
IMG_7885.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 13228 times
IMG_7886.jpg
IMG_7886.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 13228 times
IMG_7889.jpg
IMG_7889.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 13228 times
 #36946  by ukdrn

Thanks for the update and pictures.
Looks to be in quite good condition.
 #36948  by jaytee

thanks for the latest photo's, the last shot reminded me of this from American Rodding magazine
Attachments
!00a1dps.jpg
!00a1dps.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 12994 times
 #37405  by pinkrosi

Not sure where it ended up but here's a couple of earier shots of the car from '86 and '87. It was run by Kevin Creed with 400 Pontiac power...

#38512  by ahensman

Thanks for saving my butt on this one. I'm still drawing blanks on how to circumvent the copy lock on my recording.

Hope you guys over in England enjoy this show as much as I did.
Wasn't there some great footage of those US tour meets? Some I've not seen before.
Andy