UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#34663  by rjpromod

You may remember Melvyn Record. He was a Santa Pod photographer who took a job with NHRA's National Dragster in the late 1980s, then worked at Sears Point Raceway, now is Marketing VP at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

He has just emailed me with the following enquiry. If anyone can help, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

"I was wondering if you might be able to help me with some detective work? I have a friend, Michael, in Berkeley, who has restored a Lotus 35 that was built in 1966 and in the early '70s was drag raced by MG (Maurice) Thomas. Michael is looking to learn more about the history of the car; we think we have a photo of the car in an old book about the Brighton Speed Trials but, unfortunately, there are no details.

"I personally started going to Santa Pod in 1973 and remember seeing a variety of Lotus raced there and at the the various NDRC tracks that operated in the 1970s, but having sorted through my fading photographs I can't find a shot of this particular car.

"Any suggestions on how my friend might be able to learn more about the car? "
 #34664  by timetravel

Here's Maurice Thomas's Lotus 35 at Santa Pod 1970...
Dave East 1970 049.jpg
Dave East 1970 049.jpg (188.26 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
He also ran a Lotus 31 before that, these pics are from '67...
VRM009.jpg
VRM009.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
img702.jpg
img702.jpg (151.12 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
 #34666  by rjpromod

Thank you, TT, for this swift and illuminating response. I'll pass on the details to Melvyn. I'm sure he'll be very pleased. If anyone has further information, it will be most welcome.
 #34670  by ukdrn

Welcome to the website Melvyn, it's a pleasure to have you on here.

Jon
 #36122  by atspeed

Hello,

I am the current owner of the car. I am attaching a photo of the engine that the car was raced with in the 1000cc and under class during most of the 70's. It is a Holbay MAE with twin downdraught carbs as opposed to the original single throat permitted in Formula 3 racing.
Holbay MAE engine with Hewland mk 6 transaxle.
Holbay MAE engine with Hewland mk 6 transaxle.
IMG_1894.jpg (365.51 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
This is a current photo following restoration of the motor.

On page 50 of the book 'The Brighton National Speed Trials' by Tony Gardiner there is a photo of the 35 with this engine installed. Does anyone have any further photos of the car?

Many thanks,

Michael
 #36418  by herb andrews

atspeed wrote:Does anyone have contact information for Tony Gardiner
I don't, but have you tried contacting the Brighton and Hove Motor Club? http://www.brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk/ I found them very helpful but sometimes slow to respond. I would have thought they would also help with pictures of the car. Good luck.
Herb
 #36420  by atspeed

herb andrews wrote:have you tried contacting the Brighton and Hove Motor Club?
I did initially and they sent me all of the race results from Brighton events that MG Thomas entered with both his 31 and 35. Good idea and I will try them again regarding Tony Gardiner. Regarding the car, they didn't seem to have anything beyond those race results and entrants lists.

Michael
 #36422  by kal

atspeed wrote:
herb andrews wrote:have you tried contacting the Brighton and Hove Motor Club?
I did initially and they sent me all of the race results from Brighton events that MG Thomas entered with both his 31 and 35. Good idea and I will try them again regarding Tony Gardiner. Regarding the car, they didn't seem to have anything beyond those race results and entrants lists.

Michael
I would suggest contacting the book publisher, Veloce, at info@veloce.co.uk.
Ask them if they will forward your request to Tony Gardiner.
They do publish some good books at Veloce, :)
Regards,
Keith