UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#35582  by shabby1

Just thinking of how many Imp-powered drag race vehicles that's appeared over the over the years.
I've got this lot so far:-
Mick Wheeler's Scorpion rail-A later lady owner wrote it off(and nearly herself) in a nasty Pod pit lane accident.
Mick Sayer's neat series of 'Impact' rails.
Tony Gane's 1968 Imp-powered mini rail-He went on to greater things with Mr Priddle!
Vic Phillip's 'Impetus' outfit-The last to run at the Pod before they were ban.
'Lone Wolf' Comp. Bike-Imp x 2.
Steve Murty's blown Imp Comp. Bike.
Magnum 900 Street Bike from 1970.
Comp. Bike CC68?
Having done my apprenticeship with Rootes/Chrysler and spent many 'happy' hours with emery blocks and a surface plate straightening Imp heads I've got certain bond with what was basically a cracking little engine.
Anyone think of any more?
Cheers
Chris
 #35590  by jaytee

Tony Bartram Imp engined bike, did Tony Gane use Imp Power
 #35591  by jaytee

a quick search for Tony Bartram came up with this, I wonder if the Houlsby bike could be Bartrams, I think Bartrams bike was Impetus or maybe Impala, also a look in Keith Lee's book there's a nice shot of Jim Balchin's rear engine Imp powered bike
Attachments
aaCB122.jpg
aaCB122.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
0a%20CEB%2011a.jpg
0a%20CEB%2011a.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
 #35596  by oily bike bloke

There’s also the recently restored (by my best mate) supercharged Impulse sidecar outfit originally built and ridden by Vic Phillips.

See the informative article from the imp site regarding machine details etc.
http://forum.theimpclub.co.uk/viewtopic ... 10&t=22230

For those of us lucky enough, Impulse was seen and heard at various VMCC Sprint events over the last couple of years being ridden by Paul and Andy (separately I hasten to add!).
After initial clutch niggles (it ate ‘em), the sound of a full throttle pass with Impulse in one lane, and Methamon (blown 1000cc Vincent outfit) in the other lane at RAF Thorney Island in 2013 was a glorious sensory overload!!
Attachments
VMCC Sprint. RAF Wroughton 19-08-2013. Rider Andy Forward.
VMCC Sprint. RAF Wroughton 19-08-2013. Rider Andy Forward.
UKDRN IMG_2091 crop.jpg (866.22 KiB) Viewed 11638 times
Impulse being wheeled out for first time after restoration. 02-07-2012
Impulse being wheeled out for first time after restoration. 02-07-2012
UKDRN IMG_2046c.jpg (128.85 KiB) Viewed 11638 times
 #35597  by CRR

oily bike bloke wrote: After initial clutch niggles (it ate ‘em), the sound of a full throttle pass with Impulse in one lane, and Methamon (blown 1000cc Vincent outfit) in the other lane at RAF Thorney Island in 2013 was a glorious sensory overload!!
Yes, that was a lovely moment. I was lucky enough to be on the startline for that.
 #35599  by muddytalker

In the nineties dad ran an Imp motor in his Modified class MG Midget for a short while before warped cylinder heads got the better of him. He later went full circle and returned to the trusty BMC motor which now resides in his 1958 Berekely Sports Car.
 #35605  by timetravel

jaytee wrote:... did Tony Gane use Imp Power
yep :D
img755.jpg
img755.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 11617 times
 #35606  by muddytalker

Love the foot wear :lol:
 #35611  by jaytee

thanks Nick I only remembered the Rudge, looks like he might have a touch of Delhi Belly
 #35612  by jaytee

muddytalker wrote:In the nineties dad ran an Imp motor in his Modified class MG Midget for a short while before warped cylinder heads got the better of him. He later went full circle and returned to the trusty BMC motor which now resides in his 1958 Berekely Sports Car.
I took this in 94
Attachments
aaaamuddy.jpg
aaaamuddy.jpg (107.01 KiB) Viewed 11688 times