UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#35538  by Julian Webb

Hi Jon I will pass on you regards to Dad
Further to the origin of the 392 we have, I was contacted by the original importer of the 392 a Mr Billinton I think who told me it was imported complete from Don Garlits.
He told me they fired it up on the floor before it was fitted in Firefly!!!
I believe he is or was re building or building a replica of Firefly and wanted to re fit the original engine.
I was also approached about two years ago by someone representing Nobby Hills who I was told wanted it to put in a replica of the Houndog slingshot it was in.
I'm not as good as many on here with the history of things but I believe the engine took the following route to my barn!
Fitted in Firefly then Houndog, this was crashed and the engine sold to Phil Elson and fitted in his fuel altered.
The car then had the Capri body fitted. It was sold to Graham Stockley and then bought by Dad.
He lowered the roll cage and body, ran it a few times then removed the engine and sold the rolling chassis.
Looking at various pictures of these cars I believe this to be the history.
Anyway whoever built it did a lovely job, the porting of the heads is a work of art.
Another thing that amazes me is how long the early fuel engines lasted, I bet there aren't many modern fuel engines that have been fitted to this many chassis.
Regards
Julian
 #35539  by ukdrn

Here the route of the 392 unless anybody knows otherwise?
392-1.jpeg
392-1.jpeg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
392-2.jpeg
392-2.jpeg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
392-3.jpeg
392-3.jpeg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
392-4.jpeg
392-4.jpeg (87.58 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
 #35541  by timetravel

ukdrn wrote:Here the route of the 392 unless anybody knows otherwise?
The attachment 392-1.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment 392-2.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment 392-3.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment 392-4.jpeg is no longer available
...and Metronome between Firefly and Houndog
Metronome.jpg
Metronome.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 10005 times
 #35542  by jaytee

thanks for the info Julian, I don't think I've ever read about the Garlits connection with the 1st motor also interesting to hear about the possible repop of Houndog 6, you gotta love the forum for this kind of stuff
 #35544  by muddytalker

I now recall the guy from Coventry who purchased the body was Comp Altered racer Nick Sefton. I used to see him regularly at Coventry stock car track years ago. His wife used to work in Race Control at Long Marston in the mid to late eighties. Where his is now, or indeed where the body is now will remain a mystery. Unless anyone on hear knows different!
 #35545  by shabby1

Thanks everyone this has turned into a really interesting thread.
Julian's right that must be one of longest lasting fuel motors around.
I always assumed the Metronome motor went into the back of the Stratton/Shaver Hustler Racing rear engined Vauxhall Funny.
So I guess that the Vauxhall Funny's motor must have been an ex-Skilton unit.
Cheers
Chris
 #35552  by jaytee

Chris maybe you were thinking of the earlier motor that had the Crower injection although I'm sure I read that the car ran it's best time leaving a con rod on the track, so maybe that's why the Firefly motor was used, I was always curious about how many cars the Crower injection was used on, just guessing I think it started on Priddle's Quartermaster via Pete Millars Chicken Coupe then Metronome - Shavers Ecstasy FC -
Shavers 1st REFC and possibly Dave Jones car, like I say just guessing unless someone knows for certain
Attachments
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crower  metronome1.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crower metronome1.jpg (132.9 KiB) Viewed 10293 times
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crowerDD014-800.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crowerDD014-800.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 10293 times
 #35553  by shabby1

Think you could be right jaytee,
I remember Metronome running its fastest time with the piston and rod lying on the startline-Bet Stu B does as well!
The Dave Jones car was that an ex-Pod car-Highway Patrol maybe?
Cheers
Chris.
 #35554  by muddytalker

Don't think so Chris. I seem to recall that Dave Jones was involved with Tony Froome's Sundance team somewhere down the line and that it was one of his chassis. I'll have to do some detective work. If Bazz Young is reading this then perhaps he might be able to shed some light on the cars short history!
 #35556  by shabby1

Thanks muddy,I was just guessing by the bodywork shape it looked a bit SPR built.
I don't know anything about the Dave Jones car,I can remember Tony Frome's Sun team cars,but I don't think I ever saw this rail run.Did that motor end up in an Altered?
Chris