UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#34765  by timetravel

Below is an email from Peter Dodd who found some pics of his bike among Brian Sparrow's pics on my site. I thought some of you may be interested so have copied it onto here...

I was surprised to find some pictures of my bikes. It brought back fond memories of the time I spent Sprinting in England. Certainly the good old days. I am presently living in Canada and have to admit I have not ridden a bike in many years. How I would love to do it all over again.
Brian Sparrow pics 808.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 808.jpg (176.27 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
The picture by Brian Sparrow # 808 was the first bike I built from junkyard parts and consisted of a Velocette MSS frame and rear wheel, KTT forks and front wheel, Sidecar from some unidentified Triumph racing outfit and a tank from an NSU moped. The engine and gearbox were Venom, suitably massaged, and running on methanol. At it’s first appearance it caused much amusement and chuckles from the rest of the competitors, but after a couple of runs they were coming up to try and find out why it was so quick. I think I obtained “expert” status on it’s second outing.

The next year I built a frame from scratch and used a lot of the same parts. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of that bike at all.
Brian Sparrow pics 781.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 781.jpg (230.7 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Brian Sparrow pics 806.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 806.jpg (245.15 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
The third bike “Geronimo” was the one pictured in #’s 781 and 806. This consisted of a frame and sidecar welded by myself, Velocette LE front forks and wheel, Vincent rear wheel hub with a hand made aluminium rear sprocket and disc brake and the same engine gearbox set-up. This was the quickest one of the three at 14.41 in the quarter and 28.10 in the Kilometre. I won the Duxford Championship with this bike and based on it’s performance I was invited to the World Records Meeting at Elvington. Unfortunately it was a cold damp day and I was not able to put up a repeat time in both directions. The only conciliation was that Francis Booth, the current world record holder, was there and he could not put up a repeat performance either.
Duxford.gif
Duxford.gif (278.7 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Before seeing your site I only had two pictures of the three bikes so I certainly appreciate these pictures. I have attached the two pictures that I had showing the first bike and the final iteration of Geronimo with its fairing. Thanks again for the great site.
Sprinter 1-3.jpg
Sprinter 1-3.jpg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Geronimo a.jpg
Geronimo a.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Cheers Peter Dodd
 #34834  by timetravel

And here's a video Peter put on youtube a couple of years ago...