UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#34343  by MisteR Tee

timetravel wrote:Great news Maurice, look forward to seeing it out again...

here's some pics I took in '94
015.jpg
Where are those front wheels now??? 8)
 #34366  by niceonesquire

ive always liked this car and i think it would be a shame to change those rear wheels, the fronts not so much.
 #34370  by MisteR Tee

Well, they will have to stay unless I can find a nice pair of slot mags, but I will have to change the slicks as they are well past their use-by date, plus Hoosiers aren't exactly period either!! Costing up some white-wall pie-crusts right now & new wheels would have made the change easier.

The front wheels are more or less spoken for, as they will suit Dave's Junior Dragster he's building for his son, so my mission is to replace them asap. However, that's proving very difficult to do, found an original pair of Raleigh Wisp wheels & when I say original, I mean original, down to rusty spokes & rims & they went for £21 each plus shipping!!! Really just need some 12" rims as I'll have to have some bespoke hubs made & then laced up to suit.

Anyone know anything about what mods were done to the transmission (BW35), it has just the 3 forward speed gears, no neutral, reverse or park, no torque convertor but a 4 plate slider clutch? Would the gear sets still be in the case & just the valve body altered, or what?

But I'm not spending any time or money just yet, have to get my other projects finished first, but I can dream & plan, can't I?.
 #34374  by MisteR Tee

muddytalker wrote:I've got an idea Sid that the car went aboard. I take it this is the old blown BMC slingshot that 'Diamond Dave' Miller used to race in the mid seventies. Between him and by dad's blown BMC 'The Joker' were regular sparring partners at Santa Pod and NDRC's legendary on tour meets at Blackbushe and Silverstone.
I did a google search for Dave Miller, did you know there's another "Diamond Dave" Miller in the States, who runs a current Top Fuel car??

What's happened to "our" Diamond Dave", anyone know??
 #34377  by stevey1

the Borg Warner sound like the ones Steve Johnson and I ran, they were built around pre 1971 BW 35's the reason for this was that these had two oil pumps, one front and rear. we used to weld up the front clutch pack up and weld a manual input shaft on to accept the clutch, the valve body was completely home made about the size of a cigarette packet and from memory 1st was in the centre, 2nd was forward and top was right back, it was a wonderful solution to small engines overcoming the lost time of a gear change so the rpm was kept in the power band all the time you kept your foot planted and shifted the little lever, it was a cheap way round us not being able to afford a liberty box. please email me if you need more info
Steve Y
 #34394  by davethesparky

MisteR Tee wrote:Well, they will have to stay unless I can find a nice pair of slot mags, but I will have to change the slicks as they are well past their use-by date, plus Hoosiers aren't exactly period either!! Costing up some white-wall pie-crusts right now & new wheels would have made the change easier.

The front wheels are more or less spoken for, as they will suit Dave's Junior Dragster he's building for his son, so my mission is to replace them asap. However, that's proving very difficult to do, found an original pair of Raleigh Wisp wheels & when I say original, I mean original, down to rusty spokes & rims & they went for £21 each plus shipping!!! Really just need some 12" rims as I'll have to have some bespoke hubs made & then laced up to suit.

Anyone know anything about what mods were done to the transmission (BW35), it has just the 3 forward speed gears, no neutral, reverse or park, no torque convertor but a 4 plate slider clutch? Would the gear sets still be in the case & just the valve body altered, or what?

But I'm not spending any time or money just yet, have to get my other projects finished first, but I can dream & plan, can't I?.
try old italjet kids bikes for 12 rims I will look into it ,
Regards Dave