UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#32543  by ukdrn

Thanks for the info Paul.

Looks like it John doesn't it, great shot.
 #32545  by PaulS

There was a huge varience in the shape of the front wheelarches on the Mustang II funny car bodies that were produced (or to be more accurate the shape of the "bubbles" on top of the arch to accomodate the front tyres). If you look at any set of pictures of Mustang funny cars of this period they are all different which I must admit has helped in identifying our body as ours seems to have to smallest version that was done - more of a bump than a bubble.

The body in the picture has exactly the same shape over the arches as our body, the only confusing thing is that I have a picture of our body when it came out of Circus Paint in New York with the Eastern Raider paintscheme on it but with a different design on the front grill and a different paintjob on the headlights, this other design is the one that the car still has on it today albeit with slightly discoloured laquer !.

No surprise that the car in the picture has Al Hanna name as well as Bill Dee - Bill Dee drove the other Eastern Raider car at the same time, both cars would have had identical paintjobs, this allowed them to have cars on opposite sides of the country to fulfil match race bookings, same as with Jungle Jim who at any one time had several cars on the circuit with various drivers although all of them said Jungle Jim on the outside.

I can only assume the car in the picture is ours and was re painted for the 1977 season with the grill and light art it has now - anyway great picture.

Paul
 #32553  by ukdrn

Time warp at Dragstalgia
TW.jpg
TW.jpg (163.77 KiB) Viewed 10114 times
 #32554  by ukdrn

One more.
TW-02.jpg
TW-02.jpg (150.6 KiB) Viewed 10046 times
 #32571  by MotorPsycho

Hi Paul,

The grille/light scheme as it is now was done when we aquired the body, not sure if it was based off what was used previously but we definitely had it re-done.
 #32575  by timetravel

PaulS wrote:
ukdrn wrote:Sorry if I've missed this but did we ever find out where this body came from originally guys?
- OK history of the body (as I know it)

In 1976 Gary Richardson had a Buttera Funny Car chassis and he teamed up with Al Hanna and fitted a new Mustang II body (maker unknown), the car was painted as one of the Eastern Raider cars and ran in these colours through the 1976 & 1977 seasons.

The whole car was then sold to Jake Crimmins (one of the "Jungle Jim" car drivers) who re painted it Black with a silver flash named as "Crazzzzy Jake" .

Crimmins ran the car for the 1978 season and then sold the car to Keith Bartlett & Stu Valence who bought the car over to the UK. The car remained Black and Silver but was re named as "Slick Tricks ", it did a few shows and stuff but apparently never ran.

In 1980 the car was sold to Pete Goddard who converted it to and econo funny car as a replacement for the Liquidator Pop and was re named "Liquidator".

In 1984 it was sold to Mike Burt who re fitted a Hemi (392) and re painted the car White and Blue and re named it "Iron Horse" and ran it in Pro Comp for a couple of seasons during which the name was changed to "War Horse" after an aluminium Donovan was fitted.

The Body and chassis were then separated and the body subsequently sold to Mick & Bob Gleadow who fitted it to and ex Priddle chassis which is the guise in the pictures above.

It was later sold to a guy in West Drayton who then sold it to us (sometime in the mid '90's), we used it on a self built chassis fitted with a blown BBC painted as a Highway Patrol car in 1999 and more recently on the ex Chadderton & Okazaki / Gladiator chassis (also a Buttera) as Time Warp.

That is of course unless anyone knows differently..............................................
something to add to your history Paul.. in 1984 Pete Goddard fitted the ex-Slick Willy 426 Hemi...
BLACKBUSHE AUG '84 003.jpg
BLACKBUSHE AUG '84 003.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 9873 times
 #32610  by PaulS

timetravel wrote:something to add to your history Paul.. in 1984 Pete Goddard fitted the ex-Slick Willy 426 Hemi...
Thanks for that - have a similar picture taken at the same time but from rear 3/4 view. This is the same paint job the car had on it when Jake Crimmins had it and the grill and lights are identical to as they are now, I can only assume that when it was re painted it was copied.

The one thing I am missing is any pictures of it when it was Slick Tricks, anyone............................
 #32611  by Badger

I've got a feeling I've seen a pic of it in Drag Racing News at Ally Pally or Olympia under the Slick Tricks banner, TimeTravel might remember that.
 #32617  by jaytee

Badger wrote:I've got a feeling I've seen a pic of it in Drag Racing News at Ally Pally or Olympia under the Slick Tricks banner, TimeTravel might remember that.
spot on Darren plus a shot from Hot Rod and Custom saying the car was to be run in Pro Comp with a Sid Waterman 510 cube big block Chevy
Attachments
!!!aa1.jpg
!!!aa1.jpg (420.29 KiB) Viewed 9837 times
!!!aa2.jpg
!!!aa2.jpg (288.53 KiB) Viewed 9837 times