UKDRN

If you have some nostalgic pictures you would like to share then please post them here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2004  by muddytalker

Would you believe it - PAGE 13 - WOW :D

#2005  by muddytalker

And there's more....

#2011  by timetravel

Great newspaper cuttings Muddy. I love the way the British press described the American visiters back then, not sure about the "black" smoke pouring off Garlits tyres!

#2034  by ukdrn

Fred Babcock who has has contact with some of the 64 team has kindly given me permission to use some fantastic material he has collected about the 64 US Drag Teams visit to the UK.

Starting with some notes from Steve Swaja.
Tommy Ivo's dinner invitations.

#2135  by CRR

Just noticed an auction on ebay for a photo taken in the paddock at Monza in 1964.The auction is "Dragsters - Monza - 1964" and the auction number is 270097823868.

#2275  by excompsec

jaytee, great photos from the Modern Rod magazine. I particularly like the rear shot of the Wedge and the two black strips on the tarmac.
I saw a similar image (when the smoke cleared) after Garlits first run at RAF Church Fenton - two l-o-o-o-ng black strips on the light grey surface of the airstrip. Still a cherished memory some forty three years (this year)on!!
 #3217  by malcolm

Can anyone help me with this one please?

I am looking for a photo and or any mention of Peter Westbury driving the Ferguson P99 at Blackbushe drag festival in 1964 against a drag kart. The photo must show the entry he was matched against, which was a kart driven by a friend Kel Prince who has unfortunately lost all momentos of that day.

I am not sure on which day this took place and why they would match the Ferguson with a kart but maybe it was just for fun towards the end of the event. The kart was doing very well for the first few yards.

#3225  by timetravel

According to the results sheets Kel Prince ran at Chelveston on 20th Sept and Blackbushe on 4th Oct 1964. He was entered in the up to 3000cc Racing Car Class driving a Buckler/Greeves Special. At Chelveston he ran a best of 15.66/80m.p.h. and at Blackbushe he clocked a 14.96/85m.p.h. where as Peter Westbury in the Ferguson ran a best of 11.42/123m.p.h. and was running in the same class and took the eliminator win. Can't find any pics yet.
 #3441  by Lord Purple

Here's a question for you historians, there is a picture of Stirling Moss standing next to one of the Willys Gassers at an early Dragfest, I know Nick has it on file, but Stirling is reputed to have got behind the wheel of one of the gas coupes and put in a pass himself. Question is, was it K.S. Pittman's car or George Montgomery's?

Anybody know?

L.P.
 #3443  by timetravel

I'd love to be prooved wrong but I've never read anything adout Stirling driving any of the cars at the Drag Fests and I've plenty of reports written at the time in both US and UK magazines and newspapers plus the results sheets. He was definitly there and theres a pic of him here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30 I've also seen a pic somewhere of him sitting in the Ivo dragster. I'm sure if he had made a pass in one of the gassers it would have been reported