UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#30448  by ukdrn

I think now we have this forum I will use it to get some information on some pictures I have sitting around

#30449  by muddytalker

To my mind it can be one of two Jaguar powered Middle class dragsters from the years 1973 to 75; Keith Elliott’s ‘Beam Breaker’ (MD/25) or R. Adcock’s ‘Cthulhu Two’ (MD/49). The fence posts in the background looks suspiciously like the return road and pits at Snetterton which, in the sixties formed part of the international circuit. What say you TimeTravel :!:

#30450  by timetravel

No it's not Beam Breaker or Cthulhu 2 as neither were supercharged, in fact I can't think of any supercharged Jag slingshots from the 70's. Do you have a year on this pic ukdrncouk? It could be Ray Archer's Shotgun Jag slingshot which was supercharged in '69.....

#30451  by ukdrn

No year but I might be able to dig out some more pics of the car if I can find them

#30452  by muddytalker

What about Bert Knight. He owned a Jag engined slingshot. It was running mid twelves (12.591@110.01). It says so in the class records mentioned in my copy of the 1969 (14th June) Spring Nationals programme from Santa Pod.

#30453  by timetravel

I don't think it was one of Bert Knight's "Knightmare" dragsters as they were not supercharged either, not according to the programmes anyway, mind you racers in the 60's and 70's were forever experimenting with homemade induction setups at each meet so it could still be any of the above anyway. We really need to see the race number to be sure.

#30454  by ukdrn

Here is another picture, still can't see the race number though.

#30455  by muddytalker

At long last we have the answer - Arthur Hurst is the owner. With the side on shot courtesy of ukdrn I have just come across a photo of the Jag powered dragster in the August issue (page 129) of 'Drag Racing & Hot Rod'. Sadly, no other information is forthcomig other than the dragster was based in the Northern Division of the BDR&HRA.

#30456  by ukdrn

Well done muddytalker,thanks for the info. I know that one got timetravel stumped which is quite rare in it's self.

#30457  by muddytalker

And here's the proof, and it was August 1969 page 139 of 'Drag Racing & Hot Rod', not 129 as first stated. Slip of the fingers.