UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#19418  by JonC

Not convinced its the Hazleton / Lowes car. The front hoop on the roll cage is narrower than the rear one on our mystery car. The front 'wing' is wrong, the rear wing has similar struts, but is too narrow, the wheels and tyres all round are wrong (easily changed, I know, but why go from cragars back to spokes?). Hmmmm....
 #19422  by ukdrn

I've had a closer look at all the original pictures and noticed what looks like BD8 on the wing - anyone?
sling01.jpg
sling01.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 11197 times
 #19580  by Dave gibbons

I now agree that it's not the Lowes/Hazleton car. Just got an e-mail from the current owner - Guenter (who hasn't followed this thread for a while) and if it helps, he says the rear end is a 'shortened 58-62 Olds-Pontiac axle with adapted vented discs'.

Let's keep trying eh?

Dave
 #20089  by Oldboy

Don't know what happened to 'Free Spirit', could that be a contender ? Probably not it was a long time ago, and didn't it go ' up north' ?
Attachments
44003.jpg
44003.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 11022 times
 #23077  by herb andrews

This ones still not nailed. Can everyone have another look, with the recent influx of new members perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will pick out the clue thats been right there in front of us all along, or perhaps not.... :?

Herb
 #23173  by Doug McDiarmid

Shame dragster chassis builders don't all have a regular code of identification, a 'VIN', or 'serial number' system that would assist in identifying a chassis at scrutineering. Or even at a later date, either for this purpose, or for 'approval' purposes in re-engining and re-bracketing, like a lot of the 'Nostalgia' cars would need, no doubt. That way a manufacturer could maybe 'register' a log of a chassis number with the details of the tubing used, date built, etc, and that way if a chassis was damaged, be a little like the DVLC thing where a potential buyer (especially if the chassis went through several hands) could check it out for previous prangs and potential 'handling difficulties'. Just a thought, as the chassis looks a little 'banana shaped' in these pix to me, would help identify it, surely??
 #23205  by pops charman

Doug,

This is why this website helps ID cars and parts through old memories or photos.
We did have RAC log books later on for competition events but nowadays you have to have a chassis plate with details for SFI certification and recert.

Mind you alot of older cars you wouldnt want to put your name on, my first tube chassis I built included. I like to think of it as learning and progression.?

Nigel
 #23208  by Doug McDiarmid

Nigel
Obviously not up with current regs. My old chassis never had a tag on it (that I ever found, anyhow), but as it had all the bodywork, etc, it wasn't hard to I.D., and most knew it at the time. Thought there SHOULD have been something like that, but as you point out, there now is.

Been scanning through a whole heap of cars I thought might have been this one....so many look 'similar', but nothing positive. Can't have been too many cars that were painted that colour (even once off the race circuit), so it is a surprise no-one has as yet I.D.'d the thing. In the thread, that rear-end of a car, with yellow bodywork.....bugging me, it looks very familiar, but can't place it. Still......not a lot else to do at times, trawl some more photos.