UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#23150  by Eastern raider

Nick. Do you know where the imp dragster was from? Only i spoke to Fred Dash recently about the original Stagecoach being rebuilt ( Freds dad Jack supplied the body, chassis, axel and engine ) for it. Fred went on to say that he still sees the fella from Southminster who had an Imp powered dragster.
 #23151  by CRR

timetravel wrote: Mick Wheeler's van and Imp powered digger were a regular feature at the Pod in the late 60s
Mick's still around, he's on ebay a lot selling off what must be the result of a loft clearout! I bought a lot of drag racing material from him a few years ago.
 #23152  by jaytee

Eastern raider wrote:Nick. Do you know where the imp dragster was from? Only i spoke to Fred Dash recently about the original Stagecoach being rebuilt ( Freds dad Jack supplied the body, chassis, axel and engine ) for it. Fred went on to say that he still sees the fella from Southminster who had an Imp powered dragster.
According to Drag Racing and Hot Rod in 1968 Mick was from Burnham-on-Crouch and was a draughtsman at Plessey's and was a member of the East Essex Drag Team that ran Juggernaut,like Clive said he's selling old stuff on ebay I was in touch with him some time back
 #23155  by timetravel

Eastern raider wrote:Nick. Do you know where the imp dragster was from? Only i spoke to Fred Dash recently about the original Stagecoach being rebuilt ( Freds dad Jack supplied the body, chassis, axel and engine ) for it. Fred went on to say that he still sees the fella from Southminster who had an Imp powered dragster.
Yes Mick Wheeler is the fella from Southminster, as Clive and John say he's been havin' a clear out and selling stuff on Ebay, I recently had some slides off him. He also kindly did me some prints of the slides he didn't want to sell which have his own cars on including the 3 above. He was with the team that ran the Model Y Juggernaut in '66 then the team split up, some went on to build and run Stagecoach and Mick built his Imp rail
 #23156  by Eastern raider

Well thanks chaps. Fred Dash also mentioned that his mum still has a scrapbook of pics and news cuttings from those days. The Teams would drop in on there way to the track and on the way home to let them know how they got on.
Fred also confermed my post about Cliff Barrons Daimler powered drag bike. Seems he still has it. Fred offered to put me in touch with Mick and Cliff, but warned me Cliff doesn't tolerate fools lightly (counts me out then ).
I'll try again with Fred to see if i can borrow that scrapbook.
 #23159  by timetravel

here's another of Mick's pics from '66 and a stop-off for fuel at Souldrop Turn Garage which if you google it is still there.
Who's gonna ID Juggernaut's tow car?
Mick Wheeler pics.jpg
Mick Wheeler pics.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 10864 times
 #23169  by muddytalker

Along with Harold Bull's 'Stripduster' Mick's Imp dragster 'Scorpion' was quite a winner in its time. I can remember dad's BMC dragster 'Trouble Shooter' coming up against it on many occasions in the G/Dragster class wars. I recall from the late sixties early seventies that 'Scorpion' was sold on to John Rotherham before ending its days on the Santa Pod safety rail in the return road. I think there's another thread about in on here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23&hilit=Scorpion
 #24461  by muddytalker

A local preservation grpup has acquired an old Super Hilman Minx coverted in to ambulance as used by the St Johns in Rugby/Coventry etc. It was in use at Long Marston drag strip, Stoneleigh horseshow, Coventry Speedway and more. Looking at the SCR website there is in the background what seems to be the very same ambulance (see below). Is there anyone who has old photos/archives etc that maybe would be able to help out with better pictures.
scan0004.jpg
scan0004.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (363.69 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
040.JPG
040.JPG (3.83 MiB) Viewed 10519 times