UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#22  by ukdrn

Still looking great today. The car now has a home in the Walter P Chrysler Museum Michigan USA. Seen here at a show in the US

#31  by muddytalker

Apart from the ‘Lawman’ Charger appearing in the pages of ‘Street Machine’, how many reading this can remember the car’s demonstration runs along Blackpool’s Golden Mile for the 1991 National Power Sports Festival! These are a couple of photos I took for ‘Fire Up’ magazine, but I can’t for the life of me remember the guys name.

I‘ve also got some slides from the 1966 International meet at Santa Pod when Al ’the attorney’ formed part of the visiting Golden Commando’s Drag Team along with Bud Barnes, Larry Arnold, George Wells, and EJ Potter. Al ran 13.25 that day. I will some day have to get them converted.

#43  by timetravel

Great pics Muddytalker, wasn't Ian Frankland running the car back then? Just found a couple of pics from '66 when the Pod had wooden crash barriers..... Image Image

#48  by muddytalker

Yes, you’re right TimeTravel. It was indeed Ian Frankland. He was from Rochdale. Just come across that ‘Street Machine’ article written by Tony Beadle.

When Eckstrand went back to the States, rather than ship the car he sold it to a guy called Tony Wemyss. At the time Ian was on the lookout for an American muscle car and was told of a ‘poorly’ Dodge Charger sitting in a yard in Royston, near Barnsley. After seeing it, he contacted Tony Wemyss who confirmed that it was ‘The Lawman’. But, the car wasn’t for sale. In the end, after much haggling took place, Ian managed to persuade Wemyss to sell the 426ci Hemi engine on its own before 18 months later he was finally able to buy the car.

It had been sprayed red and black and there was a 383 motor in it. It took 8 years to complete the restoration job. The body was stripped to bare metal and sprayed with 18 coats of Chrysler green metallic and white plus lacquer. The interior was re-done in white vinyl just like it had left the factory in the mid-sixties.

At the 2002 Mopar Euronationals Al and ‘The Lawman’ Dodge were reunited and from that moment on Al had to have the car back in his possession. He made an offer and before you know could say Santa Pod Raceway it was back in the States where it’s now on display in the previously mention Walter P Chrysler Museum.

#2150  by MisteR Tee

Yet another bit of trivia! DId you know that Al Ekstrand lived over here for over 20 years, owning a Scottish castle, before selling up, moving south, then back to the US. I put him in touch with Ian Frankland at the time he owned it & from then on I guess Al kept track of it before finally buying it back.

#2286  by muddytalker

Here’s a shot of the ‘Lawman’ Corvette taken at the Golden Commando’s meet in 1966. But I'm not too sure if Al was driving this as well as his Charger.
Below is a lovely shot of all the Commando cars lined up at the start.

#2289  by CRR

Jerry, I believe those photos of the US Commando drag racing team in the startline area were actually taken in 1967, not 1966. I recall that the 2 Mustangs only ever raced each other, as did the pair of Barracudas, and to make it even more boring for us spectators, no speeds or ETs were allowed to be given out as that was a precondition of the cars appearing at the Pod.

#2291  by muddytalker

Thanks for pointing that out as I wasn't sure which of the two years it was without delving into the nostalgia room again, and that's fatal with me as I wouldn't come out till Sunday and I've got work at the track tomorrow!
 #20526  by if dodge

Hi Its very nice to know that someone knew my name i restored the car over many years & painted it the Lawman colors but was told by Al i could not put the justice scales on the rear quarters i had the seats redone & chromed bumpers the trouble was no one then did anything for the 66 car i had to get badges cast in brass &plated it took me a long time to restore its a true pleasure to see its found a good home i suppose i kept it alive. To me a true part of drag raceing history while i will soon be forgotten. The car & Al Eckstrand will go into history I feel honerd to be a small part it its nice i was rememberd by someone many thanks IAN FRANKLAND
 #31667  by MrMotormind

"For God's sake get me to the Church on time...!"

Yes, you've all heard the song, but here is some evidence! I am so very lucky to have a lovely wife, Karen, who loves Muscle Cars and Drag Racing as much as I do. So what could have been more appropriate when she married her first husband many years ago than to have a Rip-Snorting 426 Hemi Charger as one of her wedding cars?

Ian Frankland had not long since finished his superb restoration of "Lawman" and was happy to oblige. I'm not sure what the elapsed time to the church was, as it was probably more than a quarter of a mile away, but it must have been quick!

The picture shows the bride's sister, mother, and other family members on the big day. Many thanks to Ian, who remains a very good friend to us both.

Phil & Karen Waters.
Attachments
'66 Hemi Charger wedding car!
'66 Hemi Charger wedding car!
P1080932.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 14362 times