UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#9180  by David Kipling

:D
Thanks to Harry Worrall and David Berry, who sent images and facts, my website http://www.oldstox.com has some history on the construction of the WORDEN car, along with handsome photos of Harry, david, and the late great Tony Densham.

Warning: my site is 85% British stock-car history, but has a solid "section" on 1960's and 1970's drag racing.
 #22715  by bdrm roland green

Hello David, the worden dragster was a memory of my childhood , also Tony densham, please see my post in the where are they now about BDRM(British drag racing magazine) from 1963-5/ My dad Roland Green published this mag that was probably too good /too soon for it's time. It cost my dad everything in the end. It seems a shame that so many folks of that era may now be gone and if there is any way i can help with some history and memories before i pass please just ask or put me in touch with any folks who would be intersted. practice days at Gravely and Duxford are a fond memory.Best regards.
 #33367  by taylov

Only nearly 50 years late, but I've finally acquired a copy of the June 1965 issue of "British Drag Racing" magazine (good old eBay) which contains the story of the Worden dragster (1962 -65). Thought others would be interested to see it.

Tony
003.jpg
003.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 7927 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (380.58 KiB) Viewed 7927 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 7927 times
 #34103  by shabby1

In Tony Densham's article he says Harry Worrall and he spend a month at the 1962 Indy 500 race.
What I didn't know til last week was that they were entrants of a car in the race!
An old Connaught F1 car.
From Doug Nye's 1973 book "Motor Racing Mavericks"-
"the C-types American travels were not at an end,for in 1962 it was rebuilt in England by 750 Motor Club members Tony Densham and Harry Worrall and with Jack Fairman in the cockpit appeared at that years Indy 500!Evidently the American Speedway Teams were amazed to see the old English art of warming the back axle on jacks on the pit apron and perhaps not surprisingly the Connaught failed to qualify"
Below a picture of the car at Indy with what looks like a very young Tony in the cockpit and maybe Harry kneeling by the front wheel-Two young London specials builders entering a car at Indy...amazing
connaught.jpg
connaught.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
 #34105  by jaytee

great picture I think that could be Tony with his arm on the front wheel and Harry in white cap behind car
 #34108  by shabby1

Could be
Just thought it was a good little story to pass on...a bit of Boys Own plucky Brits!
Chris