UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#19200  by Flying Phil

I have been trying to find the history of this car after I sold it in 1993 to Bob Owen. It did race in the Rover Championship in 1994 and I believe Kev Jenkins did lend a hand at some time. But where is it now??
Attachments
BGT at York Raceway.jpg
BGT at York Raceway.jpg (340.76 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
 #21845  by Flying Phil

Well I've got hold of some old CC magazines and found that the "Super B" did compete in 1994 driven by Bob Owen, and came 6th in the Pro Rover class with a best time of 11.65 in the Summernationals at Santa Pod. There were 14 Pro Rovers that year.
It then seems to have undergone a rebuild and didn't appear in 1995. It must have raced in one round in 1996 as the final points show "Oliver Owen MGB 50 points" 4th in class (only Paula Atkin 1600, Mike Szeley 1200, and Murray Kinnaird 400 points in that year)
On further checking the points are confused as there is no mention of Oliver Qwen or the MGB GT in any race report and three racers - Steve Green, Ian Hampstead and Martyn Moore are in the final round race report but not in the points table??? (Ref Custom Car Nov 1996). :?
So are there any pictures of it in 1996? and does it still exist? :-?
 #21855  by Flying Phil

Millevanille wrote:Thinking of making a comeback?
Hi Tim
Not really- although I still have the "Super Sprite V8" and did do a RWYB at the Pod in Sept..... :D
It is more a case of just wanting to know as it is the only race car of mine that I don't know it's fate :?
 #23064  by Flying Phil

Well we are going to have a Rover Racers Reunion at the Nostalgia Nationals at SCR on June 25/6th so will the BGT make an appearance??? (Some of the other Rover race cars will be there - Straight Line Angle, Super Sprite V8 etc).....I'm surprised that no body on here or RnS knows what has happened to this car :(
 #26591  by Flying Phil

Well at least part of the BGT still exists- the twin 38DGAS webers on the Hi Rise Aluminium manifold- and it was out at Santa Pod for a RWYB on my "Super Sprite V8" - and it ran a 14.25 at 99mph
... But I still wonder what has happened to the rest of the "Super B"
Attachments
DSCF3066.JPG
DSCF3066.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 9529 times
 #29105  by Flying Phil

Well there is to be another get together of the "Rover Racers" at the Santa Pod Retro Weekend ( June 30th July 1st) and the "Super Sprite V8" will be out again doing the RWYB.
But will somebody there know about the "Super B"?? I'm surprised that there has been no information at all on any forum (RnS, Pistonheads or V8 Forum)
 #33178  by Flying Phil

UPDATE!!!
"Super B" still Exists!!
I was very pleased to receive an e mail recently from Bob Owen, who had just found RnS. He still has the B tucked up in a corner of his garage. He had fitted a potent 4.6 litre Rover and had plans for even more power! However the rule changes and demise of the Pro Rover class meant that the car never really raced again. It did run in the low 11's at a couple of meetings in the late 1990's.
I hope to receive some pictures in a few weeks from Bob.
 #33188  by ukdrn

That's good news. I look forward to the pictures.
 #33282  by Flying Phil

Here are a couple of pics that Bob sent me. A respray and some changes to the front end. But under the bonnet Big changes with that TVR engine and multistage Nitrous system....... The interior has also been repanelled with lots of new controls and instruments.
It did run in the low 11's at a couple of meets in the late 90's but I'm sure that it should have been in the 10's or better with a few more outings........
Attachments
9a a.JPG
9a a.JPG (560.56 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
R Owen BGT 1a.JPG
R Owen BGT 1a.JPG (530.97 KiB) Viewed 9283 times