UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#20134  by challenger

hey folks anyone have any history on these weslake motors ? you may of seen i got this in the for sale adds so dont want it to seem like a plug for the add :? just thought as its such a rare motor it would be nice to reveal some history on it as we have only limited information, we have info of one that was fitted to a ducati frame but that went to australia, some reckon only 6 were built some say 10 ? there is another weslake v.twin but that was 2 ohc rather than 4 och. we gather most of these engines were built for grass track and side car outfits etc also i think there was or is a place down gloucester way that dealt with them ? thanks for reading heres a few pics
Attachments
weslake v twin 003 (Large).jpg
weslake v twin 003 (Large).jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 24063 times
weslake v twin 006 (Large).jpg
weslake v twin 006 (Large).jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 24063 times
weslake v twin 007 (Large).jpg
weslake v twin 007 (Large).jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 24063 times
weslake v twin 002 (Large).jpg
weslake v twin 002 (Large).jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 24063 times
 #20141  by jaytee

Lovely looking motor I think Mick Butler was the only racer to use the Weslake V Twin,not sure if it was the 4 cam motor though,would you have a shot of the Weslake-Ducati,here's a Vincent-Ducati
Attachments
vincati.jpg
vincati.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 24022 times
 #20148  by challenger

thanks for the reply jaytee, the fella i work for has a norvin done in full cafe racer style its the nuts,must of got my wires crossed about ducati etc but here is the bike that went australia with the same v.twin but also uses a one off weslake gearbox, in the advert the fella claims only 6 of them 8 valves were built ? says the frame on this is a one off built frame, have to say if it was going in a road bike it would certainly look better in a featherbead but that my own opinion
Attachments
photo_westlake (Large).jpg
photo_westlake (Large).jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 23997 times
 #20156  by jaytee

There's an interesting article in the September Classic Bike Guide magazine on a racer who cast his own 4 valve head for a Vincent engine
 #20157  by kal

This was not the same design of Weslake that Mick Butler raced, which was not DOHC.
I do remember John Gregory, of Hogslayer fame, tried to get hold of Weslake motors to power some road bikes for America, but he could never manage to arrange a deal.
 #20369  by Briz

Can I take up this enquiry now? I nipped over & bought this engine on Friday from Ian & Jim (and had a good yarn about bikes & cars)
Planning to build a bike to take to Bonneville in 2012, and subsequently take down the strip if I dont grenade it!
I've been in touch with Antig in Gloucester who were very helpful, but any other info would be good.
I'd like to get in touch with Mick Butler, he's bound to have useful info about his experiences running his - there a lot of common parts between the pushrod & OHC motors.
Anyone know any way to get in touch with him?
 #20380  by Eastern raider

Briz wrote:Can I take up this enquiry now? I nipped over & bought this engine on Friday from Ian & Jim (and had a good yarn about bikes & cars)
Planning to build a bike to take to Bonneville in 2012, and subsequently take down the strip if I dont grenade it!
I've been in touch with Antig in Gloucester who were very helpful, but any other info would be good.
I'd like to get in touch with Mick Butler, he's bound to have useful info about his experiences running his - there a lot of common parts between the pushrod & OHC motors.

Mick is/was a fuel route engineer at Sizewell A Power station. You could start there.
 #20381  by kal

Briz wrote:Can I take up this enquiry now? I nipped over & bought this engine on Friday from Ian & Jim (and had a good yarn about bikes & cars)
I am in contact with Mick Butler, and will mail him with your contact details.
Would not want to post his phone number.
No doubt he will be happy to talk about the vee-twin.

Keith