UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#20024  by kal

IanFeltell wrote:i'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow to pay a visit to see that bike that i have not seen for 32 years.
Hope you have a good trip Ian.
I have attached a pic I took of Ray working on the bike back in the 70s for you to see.
KL_N4_Feltell_1.jpg
KL_N4_Feltell_1.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
 #20025  by IanFeltell

kal wrote:
IanFeltell wrote:i'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow to pay a visit to see that bike that i have not seen for 32 years.
Hope you have a good trip Ian.
I have attached a pic I took of Ray working on the bike back in the 70s for you to see.
KL_N4_Feltell_1.jpg
thank you for your nice picture of my father.
if you don't mind me asking who is 'kal' please? you can pm if you want.
 #20026  by jaytee

Take a camera Ian
 #20036  by ukdrn

IanFeltell wrote:
kal wrote:
if you don't mind me asking who is 'kal' please?.
It's the renowned photographer Keith Lee :)
 #20043  by paso

Your Dad was a hero to a lot of us back in the 70s Ian. Would be great if you have any new pics of the bike. 8)
 #20082  by IanFeltell

the bike is still much the same from the first photo,Pete has many other wonderful drag bike restoration project on the go ,Pete is looking for the tranmission my dad used to have possibly a 2 speed automatic ,i don't know if it was made to order or standard type transmission? does anybody know what it might have been in them days and possibly salvaging one?
 #20083  by kal

IanFeltell wrote:the bike is still much the same from the first photo,Pete has many other wonderful drag bike restoration project on the go ,Pete is looking for the tranmission my dad used to have possibly a 2 speed automatic ,i don't know if it was made to order or standard type transmission? does anybody know what it might have been in them days and possibly salvaging one?
Looking at the frame pictures on page 1 against one of my pics, it certainly looks like the single-engined bike that Ray raced in 1975, which had the blower out in front of the motor. I remember that particular setup running without a nosecone fairing.
I will look through my notebooks and see if I have a record of what transmission setup was used. He may have been a bit early for a Miller-Baskerville clutch and two-speed setup.
 #20104  by kal

I have done a bit of digging, and come up with the transmission details for Ray's single Triumph.
In 1975 he tried running the bike as a single speed, but was not able to run quick enough.
For 1976, a rather novel transmission was prepared.
It was a Laycock overdrive unit fitted into a custom made ally casing. The shift was actuated mechanically.
Some racers were really inventive in trying to solve the transmission issues, which were a major problem for bike racers - as the trusty AMC box and clutch was no longer man enough for the job.

Pete Davies did much of the engineering on the revised bike, which was upped to 875cc by use of special Morgo barrels cast to Ray's requirements. It may have been a Triumph motor, but the crank was a Derek Chinn modified Norton unit.
 #20106  by IanFeltell

kal wrote:I have done a bit of digging, and come up with the transmission details for Ray's single Triumph.
In 1975 he tried running the bike as a single speed, but was not able to run quick enough.
For 1976, a rather novel transmission was prepared.
It was a Laycock overdrive unit fitted into a custom made ally casing. The shift was actuated mechanically.
Some racers were really inventive in trying to solve the transmission issues, which were a major problem for bike racers - as the trusty AMC box and clutch was no longer man enough for the job.

Pete Davies did much of the engineering on the revised bike, which was upped to 875cc by use of special Morgo barrels cast to Ray's requirements. It may have been a Triumph motor, but the crank was a Derek Chinn modified Norton unit.
that is an interesting find you got there,i do remember my dad goin back and forth to Pete Davies.
Thank you Keith.