UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#17300  by Geofstilwell

The Snakes "Wynns" top fuel car was sent over here and europe on a promotional tour. I am pretty sure that it never went back to the USA and was actually sold to someone in Italy who used it for shows.
 #17337  by Stormin Norm

Geoff, you may be right. When me and Steve Rose took the Rifle Jeans car to the Bolognia Motor show there was a stand in the main hall with two blown hemi slingshots side by side.Both were painted in awful gary colours and had strobe lights flashing inside the zoomie pipes. You could see they were proper race cars and had seen better days and we wondered where they came from. If one was the Wynns Winder then what was the other one ?? this was early december 1980.

Norm.
 #17340  by herb andrews

quote="Geofstilwell"]The Snakes "Wynns" top fuel car was sent over here and europe on a promotional tour. I am pretty sure that it never went back to the USA and was actually sold to someone in Italy who used it for shows.[/quote]

I wonder if Dave Prior can shed any light on this, as for a long time he was the middle man for supplying race cars, although normally from the UK, to European shows.
Anybody in touch with Dave?

Plan B: Brian, how about asking "the Snake" what he knows about the car when you are at Pomona?

Herb
 #17358  by paul

one of roland leong"s hawian slingshots is supposedly to be some where in italy, went there on a promotional tour and never returned to the us.
 #17449  by jaytee

Just seen this on the CFC site the car in New Zealand 70/71
Attachments
#70-71 New Zealand tour WynnsWinder.jpg
#70-71 New Zealand tour WynnsWinder.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 25013 times
 #17664  by Detroit Hustle

paul wrote:one of roland leong"s hawian slingshots is supposedly to be some where in italy, went there on a promotional tour and never returned to the us.

I've seen photo's of that car in an Italian motor museum, the pictures are on the net somewhere, possibly the H.A.M.B was where I saw them.
 #17670  by ukdrn

Thanks for those links :) I know these cars look good restored but personally I like seeing them untouched like that.
 #40136  by ukdrn

So to end the confusion on this and bring it up to date I had a chat with the Guru (Nick) and it seems that Wynns did import a Don Prudhomme car to go on a promotion tour in the early seventies.. What happened to that we don't know but it seems Mr Six was also painted in a similar way and ended up as it was found.
 #40137  by Finnish Fireball

This whole Wynns dragster deal is really interesting story, and in my opinion we still don't have all the details known and covered in this topic. Here's the same Prudhomme car visiting my hometown Oulu in Finland somewhere in the 70's. What makes this really interesting is that Don Garlits also sold his fueler to Wynns Europe at the same time, he explains that in this Swamp Rat 12B story
https://garlits.com/portfolio-items/swa ... lioCats=28

So was there actually both Prudhomme and Garlits cars sold to Wynns at the same time and promoting here in Europe?

Both above mentioned cars are restored and reside in Garlits museum in Ocala FL,
I took these pics this summer