UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#976  by jaytee

Does anyone know what happened to the Jones and Treutlein Crescent Coupe Topolino?
[/code]

#1665  by muddytalker

JayTee, ‘Crecent Coupe’ evolved into ‘Chicken Coupe’ around 1972/73 after Mike Treutlien’s partner Cliff Jones left the set-up following a major eye operation which prevented him from racing the dragster anymore. Jones eventually sold his share of the partnership to Keith Dancey in 1973 hence the change in the name and the colour from orange to metal flake black.

The last known recorded appearance was the rained out 1973 Fireworks meet at Santa Pod with Dancey as the named driver. However, the last recorded win for the Coupe was the DRN Trophy meeting in October when Treutlien put away Ken Cooper’s flathead dragster to win Senior Dragster, 10.6 to 11.3. After that, it all remains a mystery other than Keith went on to race his own rear engined dragster several seasons later.

Built in America, ‘Crescent Coupe’ found its way into Europe when legendary cartoonist Pete Miller had designs on racing the car in Sweden where he had decided to live. In those days it had a 392 Chrysler and was sponsored by Crescent Speedboat Engines (note the name check). Much later, Pete sold the car to Dave Riswick and Dennis Priddle for £200 less engine, wheels and rear axle. They kept it for a short while but when bigger and better things began to happen and Mike and Cliff jumped at the chance.

Mike had been involved in motorsport for a long time as an engine builder for Formula F5000 circuit cars and the Walsall based team of Steve Thompson. He started his drag racing career with a couple of drivers behind the wheel of the John Woolfe Racing ‘Whistler’ Reliant Scimitar GTE altered managing a best of 11.6 before building his own car, a full race 1293cc Mini Cooper running 15 second E.T.’s.

Cliff’s involvement was with the rodding scene and was one of the principal oragnisers of the NDRC Rod Register in the earlier seventies. Cliff was also part of the organising team a long with Alan Wigmore running drag race events at Blackbushe under the NDRC banner.

#1681  by ukdrn

I know there has been plenty of interest about this car in the past.
Here's a couple of small pictures of the car in the US.

#1683  by Glenn R

wasn't it just one of the best dragsters ever?

#1687  by jaytee

I always thought Priddle bought the car for the engine which was used in the Hot Wheels fueler although all the pictures I've seen of the car when Millar had owned it showed a blown small block,did Pete Millar race the car in Sweden

#1755  by ukdrn

#1766  by timetravel

ukdrncouk wrote:Image
That's Malcolm Olley in "Pink Panther" racing "Chicken Coupe" the same car that Crazy Chris runs today with the Wild Bunch

#1767  by Millevanille

Way ahead of its time with collectors

#1771  by timetravel

jaytee wrote:I always thought Priddle bought the car for the engine which was used in the Hot Wheels fueler although all the pictures I've seen of the car when Millar had owned it showed a blown small block,did Pete Millar race the car in Sweden
You're right John, when Priddle found the car in Sweden in 1970 it had a 354 Hemi in it which he used in his "Quartermaster" fueler. The car never ran in Sweden as it was damaged while being shipped over there.

#2147  by MisteR Tee

timetravel wrote:
ukdrncouk wrote:Image
That's Malcolm Olley in "Pink Panther" racing "Chicken Coupe" the same car that Crazy Chris runs today with the Wild Bunch
Always believed that Chris Hartnell's rail was the old Malibu Express, has he sold that one & now runs this?