UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#13723  by 40Stude

PaulS wrote:There was a car that turned up at the Hot Rods & Nostalgia meetings a couple of times in the mid 90's with twin Rover V8's (that would be 430CItotal) - strange set up if I remember as the driver sat very high totally above the rear axle and not behind it with legs over the tubes as you would expect from a slingshot, think it ran 12's!. Pretty sure it came from Swindon (seem to remeber Scottie Durrant went to look at it just before he bought his first altered)- maybe a typo or it appeared again with different engines.

Paul

John O'Sullivan built a twin engined slingshot specifically for the Hot Rod Drags one year, that would have been very rearly nineties from memory. Don't think it ever ran well, but it was only built for a laugh.
 #13739  by Badger

1997 Hot Rod Drags -
Attachments
97jynx1.jpg
97jynx1.jpg (854.73 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
97jynx.jpg
97jynx.jpg (812.21 KiB) Viewed 9836 times
 #13743  by jaytee

I'm sure that's the car I saw with the 2 motors,that nose looks very Hemi Hunterish
 #13747  by ukdrn

Excellent find Darren, I hope the car is still in the same paint today.
That nose does look like it's from the same mould as Hemi Hunter.
Does anyone know if John built this with Bootsie as a H&H project ?
 #13749  by cunningplan

I have sent a message to Dave (Two lanes) Armstrong to ask if he still has the car, will let you know
 #13754  by cunningplan

heres his reply

"I sold it on 5 or 6 years ago to a mate who still has it, he is slowly putting it back together again, it will have a single 460 ford like when i had it. It will take him a while as he got married not long ago and they have bought a house so money is tight."
 #13755  by twolanes

Hi guys. TWIN JYNX was indeed built by John Harrison. It was built in 1969 to replace the single engined "JYNX" (which ended up buried under John,s garden). TWIN JYNX only raced for 1 season then went on the show curcuit for a few years.It had 2 austin healey 4 cyl engines, blown running on nitro, John hand made the injectors as he couldnt find any that would do the job.I bought it from John about 20 years ago now and ran it with 1 460 ford engine. I sold it to a mate about 5/6 years ago now, its having another 460 ford engine put in again. I dont know when it will be out. If anyone wants any more info email me on twolanes@blueyonder.co.uk. Dave.
 #13758  by jaytee

Thanks for the info Dave so the car never had 2 V8s fitted,was the front bodywork done by John Harrison,do you know if he was involved in building Hemi Hunter with Bootsie?
 #13765  by twolanes

Hi Jaytee. It was Johns intention to fit twin small block chevys, but it never happened indeed the car has never had twin v8 engines only the 2 austin 4 cyl motors. I dont know for definate but i think the body was made by someone else, i remember John telling me he built a race car in exchange for the paint job. Dave.
 #13766  by Flying Phil

Hi Dave
Thanks for the info - did you buy just the rolling chassis and put the v8 in, or was that in before you bought it? Do you know what happened to the healey motors?