UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#13595  by Flying Phil

I have been wondering what happened to John Harrison.I believe that he was one of the very early Dragster builders/ drivers with an Austin Atlantic/A90 powered rail in 1964 ( Built 1962?) - which raced at the Uk Drag festival meetings then again in 1965 at the (Ill fated rained off) International Drag Racing Festival. He then seemed to have an Austin Healey engine fitted? which was then blown - then he fitted a second engine to make it a twin engined rail ( Called "Twin Jynx"?). This then had an accident when push starting - running into the control tower.
He was a founder, with Allan Herridge and Brian Sparrow of Dragster Developments and this then became H & H Racecraft.
Confirmation of this and any other details would be much appreciated (Iknow Jaytee also was interested at the begining of the Stripduster thread).
 #13600  by Flying Phil

Many thanks for that link - Is it possible for me to download those pictures of the Jynx's as I would like to make an article for the Austin Healey Club of early healey drag racing.
I now realise that John must have continued to race after his tower incident!
So who knows more about "Twin Jynx"?
 #13601  by PaulS

The car turned up at a couple of Wild Bunch meetings back in the mid to late 90's fitted with (I think) a ford V8, think the guy's name was Dave and all I can remember is that he was "from London" which narrows your search down to about 10% of the population - Chris Hartnell may have more details if you contact him.

Last time I saw the car it still had the Twin Jinx paintjob including from memory a red metalflake chassis.

Hope this helps.

paul
 #13602  by Stormin Norm

Phil.
There is a guy out there who is restoring Twin Jynx to its former glory with two healy motors. will try to find out more details.

Norm.
 #13606  by herb andrews

At one point, I think with the V8 fitted, it was for sale in Custom Car.

Herb
 #13608  by jaytee

Looking at that last shot of Twin Jynx,I remember seeing a twin engine car -V8s on carbs-in the pits at Avon Park around 94ish and I'm sure the rear wheels were the similar.I don't think the car made it onto the track,anyone else remember it?
 #13611  by jaytee

Going through old programmes I came across Shootout 4 14+15 May 94
E45 Darren Stewart from Swindon driving Slingshot rail 780 ci Sweet Sixteen,anyone know anything about it
 #13612  by PaulS

There was a car that turned up at the Hot Rods & Nostalgia meetings a couple of times in the mid 90's with twin Rover V8's (that would be 430CItotal) - strange set up if I remember as the driver sat very high totally above the rear axle and not behind it with legs over the tubes as you would expect from a slingshot, think it ran 12's!. Pretty sure it came from Swindon (seem to remeber Scottie Durrant went to look at it just before he bought his first altered)- maybe a typo or it appeared again with different engines.

Paul