UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#12149  by Mickyj

I know it's a while since pics were asked for but I only found this site a few weeks ago, I have a pic of Madness and also some video that it may be on when I check. It's from York drag strip in 1980, I think. Also have some more pics that I will post soon.
Attachments
York drag strip 1980 8.jpg
York drag strip 1980 8.jpg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 11222 times
 #12177  by ritchi101

hi all the guy who owned madness after ash was a guy called glen jauncy who came from cheshunt,he ran the car in supergas with a blown bbc and a clutch turbo400,he built the engine from all new parts he purchased from the states,the clutch turbo was quite a piece in its day, a few pro mod guys like dave mingay used to run them,glen never really got to grips with car and it was parked up in his workshop for years,it was a real nice car with blue perspex windows,a sliding leaf spring arrangement plus other trick stuff. i bought the engine and box from the car in the mid nineties less blower,i fitted it in my zephyr when i first bought it out,the box was real hard work so i returned it to glen, and the motor threw a rod after 3 meetings' the car got sold to someone else in the cheshunt area and i last saw it at north weald probabley 8 years ago,be nice to know whats happened to it now,my crewman had fond memories of it when ash owned it and used to drive it around ilford/seven kings area, it inspired himto buy a 67 which had a various big an small blocks over the years. the late rob long owned the dually which had a fifth wheel and trailer and also a demountable camper, last i saw of it peter lane owned it. incidently glens brother owned frenzy a vauxhall firenza doorslammer, it would be nice to know the history of that and what happened to it.
 #12214  by novanut64

hi ritchie
i didnt realise madness was the old black magic car.i still have a copy of custom car and it looked the bollocks on them centerlines
and talking of rob(rip) do you know who has the 67 now
 #12218  by ritchi101

hi paul saw you at test day the other week,car looks and goes well,yeah black magic inspired alot of people it was ahead of its time and a credit to terry gibbs,i think paul marston sold robs car for maggie to one of the vw guys who ran a vw rail not sure of his name maybe paul jackson?
 #12219  by stormbringer

ritchi101 wrote:hi paul saw you at test day the other week,car looks and goes well,yeah black magic inspired alot of people it was ahead of its time and a credit to terry gibbs,i think paul marston sold robs car for maggie to one of the vw guys who ran a vw rail not sure of his name maybe paul jackson?
If this is the original "Black Magic" Camaro then I can fill in a bit more of its history. I took the car in part exchange from Mustapha Errol when he bought "Eazy Ridin'"from me. It was an SS in original street trim etc and was less motor and trans. It was maroon/dark red originally and I still have the US licence plate that was on it! I sold it on as it was. I beleive Errol had planned to have it prepped to race but saw "Eazy Ridin'" as a better option.
 #12234  by ritchi101

hi stormbringer do you have any pics of either cars or are there any links to pics when you owned them. has anyone any info on frenzy someone must know what happened to it,theres been a few firenza doorslammers, the poole clayton car that mat gatland now owns, adrian booths rover challenge car whats happened to that? jon inces thats another i havent seen for a while, any others anyone can remember.
 #12240  by stormbringer

ritchi101 wrote:hi stormbringer do you have any pics of either cars or are there any links to pics when you owned them. has anyone any info on frenzy someone must know what happened to it,theres been a few firenza doorslammers, the poole clayton car that mat gatland now owns, adrian booths rover challenge car whats happened to that? jon inces thats another i havent seen for a while, any others anyone can remember.
Hi ritchi, I don't have any pics of the old camaro as it was hardly note worthy when I sold it,but if you go to my site http://www.petecrane.info you will find pics of "Eazy Ridin"
 #12303  by Obsession

Hi Guys,

Yes Black Magic was indeed re-incarnated as Madness by Ashley Troop when he brought her from my old Man - Terry. If I had the cash I would love to put together a replica of that car, it has to be - next to Obsession of course, probably my favourite camaro, of all the camaro's he owned. I posted these on another thread, but have attached here for you to have a look at as well.
Attachments
black magic.jpg
black magic.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 10447 times
blackmagic.jpg
blackmagic.jpg (626.29 KiB) Viewed 10449 times