UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#10198  by muddytalker

Not quite Captivation but they're still Opel GT's.

From Practical Performance Car magazine

Ed Sigmon's 427ci big block Chevy powered Opel GT raced in the NHRA B/Altered class.
 #10264  by jaytee

A few more US cars
Attachments
0aOPEL3a.jpg
0aOPEL3a.jpg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 11926 times
0a OPEL 2a.jpg
0a OPEL 2a.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
=OPEL 1.jpg
=OPEL 1.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 11922 times
 #10297  by Ian

Great pics, thanks guys.
The GT makes a neat little race car and seems to have been quite a popular choice.
 #10358  by Eastern raider

Thanks Herb Thats the one. The 81 and 84 pictures are what i was thinking of. Surely the printers have had problems, seem to remember the car being pink not red ? Over to you guys
 #10367  by tony morris

Here is another Opel that ran many years ago which was on show at the 2006 US Nationals.

Some of you may already know this and some not, but I start my drag racing career in Germany in a Opel GT. My dad ran the first year in 1979, then when I turn 18 he handed it over to me.

Roy Morris 1979 in Erlensee

This was taken in 1984, that me on the right. I ran the car mostly in the bracket classes, it had a 355ci SBC with a turbo 400 trans and ran low 11 et's. I ran it for 5 years.

This car still exists as I found out last month after 23 years, the GI I sold it to still has the car and take it to many show where he live in Tennessee.

This was going to be my next race car in 1984 another Opel GT, but the deal fell thought at the last minute.

My dad had started building another Opel for us to race, but when I purchased Rough Diamond from Dave Gibbons he sold it to my best friend Rolf Nohl who ended up finshing it in 1986.
Here it is at a show it Frankfurt in 1991

Here Rolf at Hockenheim in 1990, I ran the car in 1991 at Hockenheim with my injected 331SBC running a 9.19et.

The car is still around today in Germany and ran by a chap called Rudi Fussel in Comp Car

Then there is the wheelie car my dad built also a Opel GT, if you look close you will see it has the same front end as Captivation.

This is because we took over to England a complete Opel GT body, which was sold to Terry Sands around 1979-1980. He was in some way involved in the making of the body molds for the Opel GT. We end up with three front ends.

This Opel came down to Germany to race from Sweden a few time, the first time was around 1983 with the first owner Kent Trennemann.

He sold it and it show up again in 1987. The neat thing about this car was you could take the complete body off. Sadly the car crashed in Sweden in the late 80's.

Orlando 2006 Div2 event Opel GT running in Comp.

This is my buddy's Opel GT Jim Morrison From Canada

Tony Chunky Morris
 #10681  by muddytalker

Here's a couple more of the Fred & Jeff Hurst Opel taken at the 1986 US Nationals at Indy when I went out there with the Clifton Brothers (Hot Tomato Opel GT fame. They won Best Appearing Car that weekend.

I'm not too sure of the Opel below but it looks like its had a bit of the stretch job. Again form the same US Nationals. Perhaps Chunky might be able to shed some light on this one.

#10700  by tony morris

@ muddytalker
I have never seen that chopped Opel GT before, that must have taken hour to get right.

Tony Chunky Morris