UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#3092  by CRR

Just spent an enjoyable day at the North Weald RWYB meeting. There was probably the most varied line-up of cars and bikes that I've seen at a drag race meeting. There was a fair number of cars built specially for the strip but rarely make it to any of the mainstream meetings. There was a good selection of street rods, plus a few old British sprint and drag bikes such as Nortons and Rudges.

The icing on the cake for me though was wandering through the trade stands and coming across a guy selling a few old 1960's programmes mainly from the circuits, but I managed to buy a July 1964 Sprint programme from Podington Airfield. Among the entries were John Lloyd, Ian Ashwell and Dave Lecoq who turned to drag racing, and most of the well known sprinters of the time such as George Brown. BTW, the programme cost me just £1.50.

#3093  by sjb

I was there too.I agree there was all sorts of machinery there from gassers,muscle cars,retro 70s fords to a late 80s ss chevy truck with a blown 540 motor fighting for traction :lol:.Did you see the red big block Vette wild ride rolling burn out or the classic capri get more than a bit out of shape.

#3096  by CRR

Did you see the red big block Vette wild ride rolling burn out or the classic capri get more than a bit out of shape.[/quote]

Oh yes!!

#3097  by sjb

that classic drag bike 350 two stroke was fast and loud,had Titfield fun-derbolt4 on the tank

#3144  by sjb

Theres another Test and Tune meet coming up at North Weald
June 10th

In September (2nd) theres the Classic Bike Festival,classic sprint and parades

It would be good to have a nostalgia type meet here with flag starts :D and tyre smokin runs :lol: the place has got the right atmostphere of the old days.

#3192  by timetravel

sjb wrote:Theres another Test and Tune meet coming up at North Weald
June 10th

In September (2nd) theres the Classic Bike Festival,classic sprint and parades

It would be good to have a nostalgia type meet here with flag starts :D and tyre smokin runs :lol: the place has got the right atmostphere of the old days.
Definitely the place for a nostalgia meet. Who remembers all the tyre smokin Funny Car runs when the NDRC ran meets there in the 80s, just like they did at the 'bushe in the 70s. Maybe Stu Bradbury could come along with his flags. Also unlike the meticulously prepared black tops at the Pod and Shakey an oil down at North Weald could be cleaned up in half the time with a bit of cement dust like they used to. This usualy resulted in the next few cars or bikes to run through it dissapearing in a cloud of dust. It would be good to see some of the NSA classic bikes running at a nostalgia Drag meet.........

#3203  by plymoutharrow

It would be good to see nostalgia funnycar at north weald. It would be like 30 years ago! Ive seen footage from north weald on Nick Pettitts DVDs.

#3204  by MotorPsycho

plymoutharrow wrote:It would be good to see nostalgia funnycar at north weald. It would be like 30 years ago! Ive seen footage from north weald on Nick Pettitts DVDs.
think they have issues with noise control at North Weald

wouldn;t personally want to race there in anything quick, was scary enough in my junior dragster when a backwheel hit a pothole at about 1000ft, even from lifting at the 1/8th!
 #3344  by sjb

anybody go to Sundays event? i no Nick was thinking of going
If so anythink to report :)
 #3348  by timetravel

Yes I went last Sunday. There was the usual mix of machinery that you get at North Weald including a V12 Jag powered '32 roadster, a pair of 10sec Pro Street Pops, the Taz Racing Fiats, American Muscle cars, Max Power cars, bikes etc....... There was a late model Aston Martin boiling the tyres off the line to 13sec times at 100m.p.h. and a matchup with a Pro Street 100E against a bog standard side valve 100E. The Pro Street one just took the win 10.90/128m.p.h. to 25.97/50m.p.h.!