UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#38122  by ahensman

Thank goodness!
For those of you already tucked up under the sheets in Blighty or those who don't check the NHRA website (although I can't imagine why you wouldn't) there is to be a change in TV coverage for next year.
After years of treating drag racing like a 2nd rate citizen, ESPN will no longer cover NHRA racing. Now it is to be Fox Sports 1 as announced today on NHRA.com.
No longer will we have to endure delayed program starts due to women's college softball (a sport that should be considered similar in status to Gloucestershire cheese rolling in the UK) over-running or Little League baseball (similar to kids cricket) or Women's professional basketball (aka netball in the UK).

Hopefully, this change will put drag racing coverage back where it belongs on American TV. In the spotlight!
This change can only be beneficial for the sport in general as ESPN tends to veer towards coverage of minority sports that can be considered "politically correct" rather than of entertainment value.

Now all we need to do is get Nitro drag racing back to 1320 feet instead of the ridiculous 1000 they insist on today. However, we should be thankful for small mercies because reinstatement of the proper and true track length probably won't ever happen if only because NHRA's home track (Pomona) is so land-locked it cannot expand the shutdown area to accommodate present day 1320 feet racing.
 #38125  by torment

Hopefully fox sports 1 is free on sky.......
 #38134  by NitroWars

torment wrote:Hopefully fox sports 1 is free on sky.......
If it is on Sky it won't be free...
 #38135  by torment

NitroWars wrote:
torment wrote:Hopefully fox sports 1 is free on sky.......
If it is on Sky it won't be free...
Free in my hugely expensive tv package. :shock:
 #38168  by ahensman

Saturday August 8th and the perfect example of why ESPN needed to lose the NHRA contract.

The start of coverage of the Seattle qualifying was delayed by a whopping 58 minutes due to the prior Little League Baseball (equivalent to kids cricket) game over running. Good job I set my recorder to record the subsequent program. That way I got to see the only thing worth watching on Saturday TV, DRAG RACING!!
Regretfully, this kind of scheduling screw up has been (and still is) ESPN's forte. More the normal than the exception and a really good reason a competitive broadcaster doesn't exactly have to work to improve drag racing coverage.

Who the heck watches kids baseball so much that it has to bump a national motor sport. There can't be that many parents and relatives sitting at home that mean such a minority sport is more important than drag racing. Most interested relatives were actually at the game live and that crowd numbered about 5000. Like I said, ESPN doesn't deserve to keep their contracts.
 #38360  by Andy Burfitt

With only a few weeks left to go until the start of the season at the Winter Nationals in Pomona, I' am struggling to find a way to watch FOX sports. I have mailed NHRA no reply, also FOX with no reply.
Any ideas as to the best way to view the coverage of the racing series here in the UK?
Andy
 #38367  by ahensman

Andy,
With next to nothing to do since a recent road accident, I have spent most of the past couple of days trying to find an answer to your opportunity from this end in the US, but alas nothing too exciting.

If I may, I suggest you go to NHRA.com, scroll to the very bottom and click "Contact Us" where you will find a number of Email addresses for NHRA personnel hidden under the various sub-headings. I think there are some under "Sales and Marketing, Field Marketing and Technical Department". Maybe if you bug all of them, one might get up of their rear end and try to help.

Just a thought. Good Luck
Andy
 #38368  by Andy Burfitt

Sorry to here of your accident, and many thanks for looking into the TV deal.

I have today received a mail from NHRA stating that they are currently working on the set up for Europe. For anyone else interested this is how it reads.

NHRA is working on a number of solutions for European viewers. One of them will be an NHRA All-Access Premium on-line service available soon to computer and mobile web browsers. this will give fans around the world the chance to see the action like never before. Scheduled to begin with the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida. It will feature full length continuous coverage of all Pro and many sportsman races, from the qualifying Friday through the finals Sunday. Your season pass will be available soon Log onto NHRA.com and watch the NHRA on Fox sports1, beginning on February 12th at 10 pm ET From Pomona, California for all the information you'll need to get your subscription.

Sounds like we may have to wait over here till the Gators, We will see.
Andy
 #38369  by ukdrn

Andy Burfitt wrote:With only a few weeks left to go until the start of the season at the Winter Nationals in Pomona, I' am struggling to find a way to watch FOX sports. I have mailed NHRA no reply, also FOX with no reply.
Any ideas as to the best way to view the coverage of the racing series here in the UK?
Andy
Andy do you have a Android smart phone at all?