UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#36384  by herb andrews

Heres a few pictures from the 40th, Surrey Street Rodders, Good Friday, 'Wheels Day', at its new Dunsfold location. The place was rammed with all manner of 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles.
Brian, Stu and the ACAG team had the Allard's hemi motor cackling during the day
Brian, Stu and the ACAG team had the Allard's hemi motor cackling during the day
wd dunsfold 1.jpg (889.88 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
wd dunsfold 2.jpg
wd dunsfold 2.jpg (851.31 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Reminiscent of the 70's at Blackbushe, where 'Revenge' appeared for the first time at a drag strip, the rebuilt blown BBC powered rod is back. This time though, its constructor, Nick Butler was in the passangers seat, as it was being driven by the current owner
What an ageless stunner, imagine when we saw it for the first time, in the 70's
What an ageless stunner, imagine when we saw it for the first time, in the 70's
wd dunsfold 9.jpg (748.85 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Impressive well engineered rear end, with McLaren magnesium uprights is still a stunner
Impressive well engineered rear end, with McLaren magnesium uprights is still a stunner
wd dunsfold 10.jpg (453.34 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
A rather cold looking John Price kept the large crowd entertained
A rather cold looking John Price kept the large crowd entertained
wd dunsfold 6.jpg (200.46 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
A couple for Barn of a neat looking pop, the pictures may not do justice to its build quality
A couple for Barn of a neat looking pop, the pictures may not do justice to its build quality
wd dunsfold 3.jpg (516.72 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
wd dunsfold 4.jpg
wd dunsfold 4.jpg (456.54 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
 #36411  by ukdrn

Thanks Herb, I was at the pod so couldn't go this year.
Love the Rod 8)
 #36419  by oily bike bloke

Nice pics Herb.

Highlights of my day were seeing the Allard in its post-resto condition (impressive!) and seeing Revenge drive onto site. Unfortunately I missed the Allard firing up........
Having them parked up on the old concrete too me back to Blackbushe in the late 70's.

I've been attending Wheels Days since the end of the 70's. 2014 was the first time at Dunsfold, and there's been lot of web ‘correspondence’ relating to the organisation of WD40 relating to queuing times, vehicle on site, traffic congestion etc. The event organisers (the Surrey Street Rodders) have apparently issue a statement (which I’ve copied from the Rod n Sods forum)

The 40th Wheels Day was not as the Surrey Street Rodders would have wished.

We anticipated an attendance of 6,000 people which would have been an increase of 50% of our best ever Wheels Day. Dunsfold Park has informed us the actual number on Good Friday was in excess of 18,000. We are sorry for the problems this unprecedented turnout of vehicles caused.

At one point we did stop charging entry, in order to get as many people as possible on site and try to alleviate the 12 mile traffic jam. Since the show a tirade of negative forum postings, abusive phone calls, emails and now accusations of inappropriate dealings with Wheels Day money have led to the following decision.

There will be no more Wheels Day in its present form.

The Surrey Street Rodders would like to thank everybody who has supported us in the past 40 years and helped so many charities; you are a credit to our hobby.